1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Is he not wearing gloves?!

Edit: he took them off? Hell no.

cajun636 likes this.
  2. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I agree with almost everything except the tires. I would get good rubber first. Almost every time I try to save $ on tires I end up crashing, breaking shit and spending more money.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  3. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

can't disagree with that.. i just hated to see him toss a newish set of tires..

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  4. MELK-MAN

watching this vid and advising on a tire.. for sure, medium/medium.. if you went startcross 5's.. the soft front would not be the ideal choice here with it's really wide knob layout.. the ground looks firm, you can't lay the bike over as much as you can in loamy soil and sand (where the wide foot print of the soft front works better)..

and tell your buddy to turn UP THE IDLE on his husky. (and those 4cs forks SUUUUUCK stock..)

cajun636 likes this.
  5. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I see no video sir lol

6. MELK-MAN

darn it.. this forum holds stuff you type in cashe.. and if ya forget to delete it gets posted. sorry.

7. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Did it look like this?

Attached Files:

8. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Hoooooly shit. Not quite lol

9. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I second the Starcross 5 recommendation. I started running them when they came out and its the only tire I've bought more than once. You mentioned edge grip and thats one thing I really noticed when I got them when it would wheelie coming out of turns. The medium compound works pretty damn good in all conditions from what I've seen and they last really well too. Plus when they do get some wear they still have good grip instead of turning to garbage like a lot of brands. And I would do tires first as well if yours are not looking so hot. I prefer running bib mousses over tubliss but that stuff can wait. I just like not having to worry about flats as there is zero ability to flat a bib. They just don't last forever and are kinda spendy but if you take good care of them its not too bad.

Really looking forward to the season starting here, about 6 weeks out now. Doing the crank, clutch basket, rings (piston wasn't very old) and revalving/springing the suspension plus the normal grease everything that moves deal that I do in the off season. Should have it buttoned up in a week or so.

10. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Does the Tubliss work the same way as tubeless mountain bike tires?

11. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Umm, sort of. I'm sure Greg can explain it fully but from what I remember a bladder that you fill with air at a high psi goes against the rim which seals the spokes and tire. Then you fill the tire with a small amount of air. Thing I don't like is you can still get a flat but from what I hear you can still ride it fairly hard even flat. Also seems like most people I know have had problems with them.

MELK-MAN and cajun636 like this.
  12. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Think for the time being I'll get the starcross and get some heavy duty tubes. For now anyways.

13. MELK-MAN

i wouldn't wast money on hd tubes.. been there, done that. just use the tubes you have. a hd tube won't help that much as far as pinch flats, you still need to run 12-13psi to avoid that... they do last longer, as in you can use em for multiple tire changes, as they are thicker and won't chafe through on the walls as soon as standard tubes
    .. And you are talking $25 PER TUBE for a decent Hd tube. Well, that's a decent bit toward tubliss..

yes, the tubliss is like a total circumference rim lock. you can run the thing even if you get a puncture.. unlike what will happen with a tube, where you will eventually have the tire come of the rim and then you are fucked. With tubliss, if you get a puncture, you can continue on. in fact, in soft stuff, you may not even NOTICE the tire itself is flat, as the tubliss takes up some space inside the tire. Mount with "tire slime" and that helps fill a SMALL puncture, and it is needed to mount, and SEAL the tubliss to the tire bead. Just TAKE CARE to rotate the wheel to get the valve stem at 12 o'clock and check there is no slime in the shrader valve or you will RUIN a tire gauge...

tubliss is awesome. seriously. the additional traction is out-fucking-standing.. no way can you run 7-8 psi with any tube, hd or otherwise, and not risk a pinch flat in short order.

14. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Damn you and your logic and experience

crashman, Wheel Bearing and MELK-MAN like this.
  15. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

Been running 10 psi in tubes for a long time never had any issues but I'm slow so there is that.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  16. Dustin just do it, you won't regret it. 8psi on starcross 5's with tubliss is seriously the best thing next to the rekluse I've done. So so much grip and confidence.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  17. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Would you guys trust a used Rekluse? There's one on Ebay missing two balls that would fit the 250 sxf.

Also is there an auto clutch option for a yz85 that y'all know of? I haven't found one, but I'm not sure if I really need to find one.

18. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

would someone buy you missing two balls? I would pass.

Jed and Phl218 like this.
  19. MELK-MAN

call rekluse, tech support is awesome. there are no balls in any current design .. you need to find out what model that is and discuss if you can EVEN GET replacement parts to make that one work.

20. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

What size tires!?