1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bike oil change help

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Jason Coleman, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Jason Coleman

Jason Coleman Well-Known Member

A friend borrowed the yz 426 and changed the oil after his ride. The oil had not been changed in maybe six or seven rides. When he changed the oil, he commented that there was a metallic film that emptied with the oil. I asked another friend who said ride it for about 15-20 minutes, fairly hard, to see if that clears it up. It may just be normal wear and tear that was abundant because of the extended time between oil changes. I did this and the same metallic filmed showed up in the oil. No problems with the bike, starting, shifting, running, etc. Any ideas?
    Thanks

2. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

What color are they? Sometimes this will happen on a new bike, but if it's had a few changes, could be clutch related.

3. Jason Coleman

The oil, with about 2o minutes on it, looked relatively clean, but with a milky appearance. I placed a shop rag in the oil path and it looked frothy. No feeling to the touch. Just a weird frothy, white color. The bike is no where close to new. Thanks for the quick help.

4. Jason Coleman

So I was thinking about it, and frothy is the wrong word. Probably just a milky weirdness. Thanks again.

5. GrahamB

GrahamB Well-Known Member

Sounds like it's got water in it. Is there any sign of oil in your radiator?

6. Jason Coleman

Did not notice anything unusual in the radiator fluid.

The best way for me to explain the metallic looking stuff is to imagine pouring spices into a soup bowl. Before it dissipates, all of the spices are clumped together. This is what it looked like as the oil pooled in the strainer. As the oil seeped through the strainer, the metallic looking stuff faded as well.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

7. kmfegan

kmfegan Well-Known Member

What kind of soup?

8. Peter

Peter New Member

On all my dirt bike I’ve owned over the years and currently my 2004 YZ250 it is very common for 2 stroke and thumpers to show a silvery residue of the regular wear of the clutch fibers and metal mix with the oil on wet clutch engines I was told that this is normal, I think this might be what you are looking at. :confused:

9. Jason Coleman

KMF, chicken noodle, of course.

Peter, thanks. I am dropping it off at the shop to ensure no major problems, but my fears have been eased.

Thanks to everyone for all of the help. :cool: