1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dirt bike helmet nose filter

Discussion in 'General' started by Hotfoot, Aug 6, 2023.

1. Hotfoot

Hotfoot Well-Known Member

I have a dirt bike helmet that has a lot of miles on it and the black mesh dust screen in front (the nose filter) is falling apart. Anybody know where to get a replacement for that, or even just the material that I can cut down to size to fit? I have searched around some but I don't even know what to call it, to find the right material. I'm sure it isn't critical to have that filter but it must help SOME, because I can see that it catches a lot of dust. The helmet is an HJC.

2. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

find any kind of fish tank filter, or other foam. in reality, it is just for cosmetics. yes it will catch some dust but, the giant hole for the goggle area, and under your chin, lets in way more dust than that little area you are trying to filter. Ski

Steeltoe, Sabre699 and MELK-MAN like this.
  3. Hotfoot

True - my goggles fill the goggle opening almost entirely, but the chin area is open. The main goal was to get the old foam filter out because it was disintegrating and sprinkling little black particles over my face and up my nose while I was riding, and since it was apart I figured I might as well put something back in. Your suggestions helped, thank you, I looked around and found a new unused black foam pre-filter for a vacuum (which we no longer have) and that seems to be perfect, I cut a piece to fit and it's all done and ready for the next dusty ride.

Sabre699 likes this.
  4. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

If the foam is falling apart its likely that the protective inner shell has degraded too. Get a new helmet. Personally I hate goggles, because I wear glasses. Try a dual sport helmet, has a face shield but built like a dirtbike helmet, Bell makes a decent one for ~150$.

MELK-MAN and Spooner like this.
  5. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

6. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

This.

7. Hotfoot

Good point and you are right. I did buy a new one, I just like this one better, it fits better and is lighter and cooler (better ventilated, I guess), but yes, I need to get a new one that I will actually like enough to wear. My lame excuse is that I am using it while riding with a kid that is just learning so it is all slow speed on easy flat dirt (thus the dust)- but I also know shit happens and I should have a good helmet no matter what, so thanks for the nudge on that.

My kid just got a Bell dirt bike helmet that he loves, it has a very good visor design; I'll try one of those and maybe that is my solution. I do ride with someone that uses that dualsport type with the big face shield and he likes it a lot except that it is a bit heavier, but I'll take a look at those too.

8. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

I was going to make a Bane joke batman/ southpark but I refrained... I was curious of answers/ solutions as well.

9. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

just remove that old crusty stuff. FYIW got a nice full face downhill mtn bike helmet, chin bar mouth opening is totally open. zero foam or anything. LOTS of openings all over the helmet, lots of air flow. Rode with it in woods yesterday on dirt bike here in 95F FL .. wow. MAJOR air flow compared to a full dirt bike helmet. wear ear plugs all the time on dirt bikes, but it's a MUST if wearing a mtn bike helmet as the ears have a hole over them. I don't suggest this, as it's likely not as sturdy as a quality Arai dirt bike helmet, but man.. for the slower woods stuff, in this heat, it was pretty nice.
    Agree that riding dirt bikes, i'd get a screen at least shoo-gooed in place over a big mouth opening so ya don't get roosted by a rock from a riding buddy.. OR as ya already did, get a new helmet.