1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

different front and rear tires

Discussion in 'General' started by walt415, Apr 16, 2014.

1. walt415

walt415 Active Member

Dear Beeb,

Did a quick search and did not come up with any hits.

is it ok to have different front and rear tires, for track days? I have a front Dragon Supercorsa that seems ok. I'm thinking about putting a Diablo Supercorsa on the rear.

what sayeth the beeb?

best regards,
    Walt415

2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

As long as the power bands match, give 'er hell! :up:

3. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Whatever helps you corner low.

4. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

Your name is Walt, shouldn't you be on Michelins?

5. bmart23

bmart23 Well-Known Member

I've run different brands ;) Dunlop front Pirelli rear, for track days it doesn't matter unless your really fast, which I'm not :mad:

6. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

I have a buddy that does just the opposite... Pirelli front and Dunlop rear. I think he's dumb... but he likes it.

7. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I vote yes.:)

8. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

sure but check the date on the dragon supercorsa. those have been made for a long time, might be a pretty old tire. look for the four digit code on the sidewall that's stamped in. first two numbers are the week made (00-52), last two year. if it's only got three numbers, run away from it!

if it's older front (3-4 year old +), give it plenty of time to warm up unless you like pushing the front and catching your bike on your knee. :)

9. apexspeed

apexspeed Well-Known Member

Right-on!

Ive got a matched set of 40yo bridgstone enduro/trials tread on an XR100 we used to train on at the stone mountain kart track. hard as rocks and they refuse to wear out. got them off a very low miles, '74 XL70 barn find.. I got excited when I saw they were the original tires for that reason LOL!

those combined with the slick concrete (it was a bumper kart track) was a serious handful of slides! I always made sure to tell anyone who asked to ride it that the tires were old and you will crash and everyone did.. it was great!

I mis that place. I think its available for rent again but Ive got too much going on these days. somebody here should check into it though. we used to have a blast there! its kinda sketchy with the guide rails on both sides of the track but we put in thousands of miles there and nobody ever got hurt.

anyway.. yeah! best way to learn something, cars or bikes is get the crappiest tires you can and have at it! but unless you have lots money to burn I wouldnt try it on a sportbike and I prefer matched sets myself but havnt experimented much there.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  10. It isn't a big deal. There are several guys on the Ape forum who race in other countries and use different tires. I think most of them do a Dunlop front and Pirelli rear. Although i do remember a few that did a Michelin Cup V front and Pirelli rear. I have thought about trying that combination myself because the Cup V front is my favorite tire of all time, but I love the feel and drive grip of the Pirelli rear. But I can't get my head past the mismatching tires.

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

:stupid:

12. trispdtrip

trispdtrip Poor, Fat, Slow Racer

So, if you do this do you qualify for contingency from both manufactures?

13. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Honestly that is the first thing I saw and thought lol

14. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

I've tried it, when switching brands, to try to isolate the differences in feel. No issues.

15. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

As long as they are good tires go for it. I've run combinations of Michelin, Pirelli, and Dunlop many different times using fronts/rears that I happen to have on hand. I prefer UK Dunlops, however.

My tires are matched perfect and staggered special.

16. Unfortunately no. :D

That comes up every time this subject comes up and the Mongo said nope. Pirelli and Michelin don't pay contingency anyway.

17. walt415

walt415 Active Member

hey thanks guys.

Dear gt#179:

on the side of the tire it says "F922 4808"

i guess this means it was made in 2008 and you would recommend replacing it? The tire has never been used.

best regards,
    walt

PS who is Walt Michelin?

18. caferace

caferace No.

imagine that. :D

-jim

19. caferace

caferace No.

I would not be on track with a six plus year old tire, even if it had never been used.

Maybe that's just me.

-jim

20. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Your tire was made at the end of 2008. Marginal at best. Maybe track day but let it warm up and see how it feels. The softer the compound the shorter it's shelf life. For example a rain tire should be used within a year for optimum performance. Race tires 2-3 years IMHO.. I've used older tires for track days but always with some caution and different brands may be different.