1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diesel fuel tank help...

Discussion in 'General' started by RRP, Mar 18, 2017.

1. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I need some help. My dad passed away in October of 2014. One of things inherited from him is a 1979 Ford 1600 tractor. It's a small 1.3l 2wd 2 cylinder diesel that was actually my Grandpa Storck's that he bought brand new. It's actually in very good condition and has very low hours on it.

My problem is this: it sat too long and the fuel in the tank has gelled and now it has about 1/4 of sludge in the bottom of the tank. I have pulled the tank and gotten the fuel supply valve cleaned and new filter is coming, but how do I get this tank cleaned out?

Any help appreciated as I want to get this thing going and use it and keep it.

Thanks
    M

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Is it affixed to the tractor or can it be easily removed?

3. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I have it off the tractor already.

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Then dump something in there to thin it out: gas, kerosene, or some other solvent. Let it sit for a bit to loosen up, swirl it around, then dump it out.

5. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Acetone, maybe?

I'm assuming it's an all metal tank.

6. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I should have mentioned, I tried kerosene and it didn't make a dent. May try gasoline next.

Yes, steel tank. I have reviewed a couple tractor resto forums and acetone was suggested a couple times.

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

How about paint thinner/remover? Don't gas and diesel break down to varnish?

8. Phl218

Phl218 .

Concrete. Pour in concrete.

Or fire. Fire is good too.

9. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

You're a big help...

Definitely leaning towards something like this.

10. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

:crackup:

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Remember the Mythbusters where they tried to bust up the solidified concrete in a concrete truck with dynamite?

12. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

That was awesome!! :bow:

13. BC

BC Well-Known Member

It's more likely algae . Get some algae treatment as well to make sure. That shit plays hell on fuel systems.

14. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

It is probably paraffin wax if it sat that long.

You need to find somebody that steams out tankers. Take it to them and give them some cash and they'll take care of it. Or if you have any buddies at a factory with a boiler, put a steam line in it and heat it up for an hour it'll come right out.

Or if you have any buddies at a nearby refinery get 5 gal of refinery light distillate and that shit'll dissolve it in 5 minutes.

tawzx12r likes this.
  15. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Maybe a pressure washer with HOT water ?

16. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

17. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Sounds like you should replace all fuel lines and clean the injectors.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Try heating it up and see if it melts. Seriously - but do it safely and not too hot :D

19. Phl218

Phl218 .

like i said, fire. :D

motoracer1100 likes this.
  20. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

A good read: http://criticalfueltech.com/faq.html

Whatever it is, having that much is NOT a good thing on the fuel system, especially that of a diesel. I'd pull the injector lines off and see what the inside looks like, may need a complete fuel system overhaul if the tank is THAT bad.