1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did my 2018 taxes last night...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by wood600rr, Jan 29, 2019.

1. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

The interest and property tax ceilings gave me a proper kick in the dick.

How those aren’t indexed by geography is somewhat baffling.

2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Because there's absolutely zero reason for the federal government to be subsidizing state income tax collection.

sheepofblue, kangasj and R Acree like this.
  3. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

If that’s the case (I don’t agree, but we can leave that to the side for now), then get rid of any property tax/interest exemptions, no?

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

So they can kick you harder? Or is it simply more important to you to make others suffer?

A lot of deductions went away, the standard deduction was higher. I think charities will take a hit, but for many people, tax preparation became a lot less burdensome.

Murcielago311 likes this.
  5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Yup.

Would it surprise you to learn I'm opposed to dividend double taxation?

6. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Made more last year. Got a slightly higher return. I don’t see where the issue is. YMMV

7. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I wrote a check to the feds for $914. Then I wrote a check to the state of SC for $14,200. Fml. Lol.

8. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Why so much for state?

9. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

standard deduction went from $6000 to $12000....however the personal exemption is gone which was another $4500. Add into it that I also can no longer claim job expenses (I'm a mechanic, I spend far to much on tools and such). My refund was $6000 less. Always happy to get a refund, but not very pleased with losing a $4500 personal exemption and no longer being able to claim job related expenses.

10. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Cashed in all my work shit. Feds got theirs up front. Like 40k or some shit. Didn't owe state till I filed. I knew it was coming. I had about 20k stashed aside just for that. Still got some left for beer and shit. So, that's the way she goes.

11. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Well that sucks. Feel your pain... had to send the damn feds a check for about that amount due to capital gains. At least I got to feel good for funding the gov for .00000000001 of a second.

12. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

You got a good deal as we now know the sexual habits of quail while on cocaine!

13. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Ok....completely lost me but ya, those damn birds.

14. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

He's refering to wasteful government spending on stupid studies that have absolutely no business being paid for by tax payers.
    One recently discovered was birds doing coke and it's effect on their sexual habits.

kangasj likes this.
  15. kangasj

kangasj Banned

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm good with that. Nuke all exemptions.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Some expenses I can see claiming but some like tools I have to say I'm good with getting rid of. Yeah they are for your work - but they are also tools that you will have after you stop working there or don't do that work any longer and are an asset you can sell off.

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I wouldn't argue against this idea, but there would be significant disruptions in the economy if exemptions are eliminated. That's how the feds have pushed home ownership, alternative energy and a host of other initiatives to influence behavior.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm good with short term disruption for long term gains.

20. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

As long as all exemptions/credits are removed for both individual and corporate taxpayers, I'm on board.