1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did I get this right -

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by RossK6, Jan 28, 2012.

1. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

Okay - first time I've had to wire the brake pad retaining pin - I replaced the pin with the wire, then ran the wire through a piece vinyl hose around to the banjo bolt. I'm still not sure this is quite correct. Can one of the mods/experienced racers take a look?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. tawzx12r

tawzx12r Influencer to none

My first look says... No

I wouldn't replace the pin with wire...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  3. jackel151

jackel151 Well-Known Member

I am I reading this right? You replaced the retaining pin with a piece of wire covered with a hose? Dont think thats quite the way to do it.

Put your pins back in and if they stick out the back of the brake drill a hole thru the end and just safty wire the hole. Or use rtv on the threads of the pin and then cover the end of it with a glob of rtv.

4. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

OK, I need to describe this better...the retaining pins themselves are there and were already drilled - I removed the cotter pins/hairpins that keep the retaining pins from backing out of the caliper and ran safety wire through the retaining pins. BTW - this is an SV650, if that helps.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  5. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

I wired the pins on my 400 with no problems.

6. simonburic

simonburic Runs Wide

I'm curious if this is legal as well. Since I to would like to do away with rtv on the head of the pin and just go to saftey wiring.

7. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Should be fine, I know some that wire the front pins to each other with arch between them.

8. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I can't imagine that your set up would not be sufficient. I guess that the weakness is the wire, being a smaller diameter than the R clip it replaced. I can't imagine that it would be pinched in a hundred years, though.

On a Duc, I kept the R clip but drilled a hole in the pin where the tit stuck out beyond the caliper. It was easy, just grind a small flat in the pin then drill. Take more time to take off my caliper than yours, though.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Put the r-clips back in. They don't need to be wired but personally I wire the ends closed with a tiny loop of wire. The pins themselves don't need to be safety wired, they just need something to keep them from backing out so that can be wire, r-clips, cotter pins, silicone, whatever works. The OEM's a while back quit putting the r-clips in which had been standard for years and we started having people lose their brake pads. Not a good thing.

10. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

Got it - thanks for clarifying.