1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dell Inspiron E1705 sound issue

Discussion in 'General' started by RacerGirl117, Jan 9, 2010.

1. RacerGirl117

RacerGirl117 Well-Known Member

So...I have the above computer. Sometimes I like to plug in my Altec Lansing USB speakers to listen to music. The problem is when I do that and then unplug them later, my system speakers no longer produce any sound whatsoever. I don't know of a way to get around this issue and it's really annoying because if I want to use my computer in another room, I have to unplug the USB speakers but I don't get to hear anything. Anybody have any ideas or suggestions (other than don't plug the speakers in and use headphones to listen to music)?

I've tried updating the driver for the system speakers but it tells me I've already got the latest driver installed. I guess I'll try uniinstalling it and see what happens. Can't be any worse, right?

Oh, the other thing is that when the system speakers are working and I plug the USB speakers in, I have to set the USB speakers as the default. It's a very annoying issue.

2. jdf01

jdf01 Well-Known Member

Check and see if there is a function key toggle on the keyboard like for an external monitor. Mine did that a while back and that fixed it

3. RacerGirl117

RacerGirl117 Well-Known Member

Hmm...hadn't thought of that.

I uninstalled the driver and let the system reinstall it and it's okay for now but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it does it again. Probably just a Vista issue. :rolleyes:

4. RCM78

RCM78 Well-Known Member

In control panel select sound and audio devices. Once you set the USB speakers as default you need to go back in and turn on your system speakers.