1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead batteries and Old Gas

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, Nov 10, 2019.

1. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Follow up to the dead battery thread.

The gas in the bikes has also turned. It's still in liquid form lol but the whole fuel system needs cleaning.
    What's best to clean out the fuel tanks? No rust just nasty fuel residue.

Yamaha used to make some kick-ass stuff that was water based but incredibly effective carb dip but don't think it's available anymore.

2. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Pour a can of acetone in the fuel tank and a handful of short drywall screws. Shake them around. Drain, rinse, repeat until sassified. Wear rubber gloves whilst doing this and use a telescoping magnet to retrieve the screws when you're done.

3. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I like Berryman’s chem dip. It is expensive, and not eco friendly, but it will clean the hell out of a carb.

4. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

The Yamaha carb cleaner is still available, part # ACC-CARBC-LE-NR. Stuff works great.

notbostrom likes this.
  5. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I've done the same cleaning car gas tanks with a piece of chain. It prevents you from having to ensure you get all of the screws out since it's only one piece of chain to remove

Phl218, TurboBlew, Steeltoe and 2 others like this.
  6. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Plus one to that. :beer:
    I've used BBs also because they get into every small space and are pretty easy to retrieve.

7. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Make sure you count the number of screws/bb's you drop in and take out.

8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Metalhead needs to start a band named
    Dead Batteries and Old Gas.

Phl218 likes this.
  9. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

A bunch of nuts on a loop of safety wire works too. You can always get it out with a magnet.

10. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

If these are non-O2 sensor bikes and you have AV fuel readily available, use that to flush with. Then, fill the tank with AV and dump in a whole can of Sea Foam and ride the bike. That combo will dissolve any remaining residue.

If you have crusty tanks, use Evaporust. It’s enviro-friendly and doesn’t harm finishes. It’ll take a gallon to work quickly and you’ll need to agitate and flip the tank to a new position, each day. The stuff is reusable and it’s effectiveness starts slowing, as it becomes too saturated with rust. I only use coated deck screws for agitation, as they don’t rust or corrode and add to the mess, like regular screws or BB’s.

Yamaha make one of the best tank prep-seal kits on the market. The only other product I’d consider is Caswell. The rest don’t hold up so well. Ethanol just destroys most tank liners.

If you need injectors cleaned, Eric Derr is fast and very affordable.

7044F5EF-4877-4981-B059-5CAA1F0DFF67.jpeg

11. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

If this is the same stuff it is a miracle in a bottle. Still can't believe it's water based

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Is is the stuff in the gallon can?

13. Slider82

Yep, same stuff Yamaha came out with in the early 80s when all the new bikes were coming in with clogged carbs.

14. Slider82

It comes in quarts, at least that part # does. Don't know if it's sold by the gallon but you mix it 50/50 with water so it goes a long way.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ahhhh, I might be thinking of a Gunk/Gumout product, came in a gallon can with a strainer in it.

16. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Before doing any gas tank restoration, remove the fuel sending unit and Petcock.

No sense in damaging those with nuts or screws

Ultrasound is the best tool for carbs