1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daytona 2017

Discussion in 'General' started by twodocs, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

Congrats on your race performance!

2. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

^^ what he said. It was one that many will talk about for some time to come.. for good reasons, and some not as good, but it was a f-in great race, nonetheless.

TurboBlew and busa99 like this.
  3. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

To Cory West ;

Congratulations on an impressive 2d place. Too bad it was not first.

Since you've posted here, I'm curious . . . .

Watching on a shitty Fanschoice feed, you seemed to have Eslick covered thru the field - particularly being second thru traffic - a more difficult task than being first thru. Perhaps this has been answered elsewhere, but I'm not elsewhere: why lead out of the chicane on the last lap? A couple of thoughts come to mind, but I'm not the racer who was leading the Daytona 200 on the last lap, so what do I know?
    1. You couldn't get Eslick to pass, so you had no real choice.
    2. Not enough motor on Eslick? I don't think this is an option, because if there isn't enough motor to draft past, then there certainly would not be enough motor to stay ahead.
    3. You thought there was a big enough lead that Eslick couldn't/might not draft past?

Not second guessing here - just wondering, after having sat on the edge of my seat, hoping you'd get the win. I suspect you've been asked this once or twice . . . .

Armchair racer thought was to try to not lead out of the chicane and hope to draft past for the win. But, again, I'm not the guy who (1) qualified at the front of a fast field, (2) survived red flag Armageddon, (3) survived 2 pit stops, (4) done 56-1/2 laps at a wicked fats pace thru hairball traffic, and (5) was dealing with a two-time Daytona winner for the win.

Again, congratulations on a great and impressive ride, and any insights you could provide those of us watching you as "The Man in the Arena" (See, Teddy Roosevelt quote from April 23, 1910: http://www.theodore-roosevelt.com/trsorbonnespeech.html) would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave

Lavana likes this.
  4. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

8/4/17 at VIR then stick atound for the WERA-N2 endurance race over the weekend.

5. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

8/4/17 at VIR then stick atound for the WERA-N2 endurance race over the weekend.

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

yeah like too many people over the wall and looked like some "refueled" during the tire changes (simultaneously) instead of sequentially.

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Epic.

vizsladog likes this.
  8. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

+ 1

9. dantheman

dantheman Yeah, it hurt.....

Don't listen to that shit. We were in the infield kink watching. You ran a hell of a race. It was great watching you and your bud Danny mixing it up. Congrats.

10. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

That doesnt sound enjoyable to me one bit(the traveling by bike part). Nice truck, trailer, hotel rooms, no hurry, sure. Touring a sportbike between tracks, 2 changes of clothes, little for tools or any ammenities, F that!

11. I love taking cross country trips, so I would enjoy it. Ive ridden from NE Tennessee all the way to Houston and even Brownsville TX, multiple times.

12. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

But were you doing trackdays at the same time? If you're gonna tour, than tour. If you're gonna trackday, put that bitch in a trailer.

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

This. Someday I hope to make a track tour, but it will be with a nice RV, trailer, two bikes, pit bike, tools, and plenty of free time.

Ra.Ge. Raptor likes this.
  14. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

One thing I saw was the lead pack moving by a waving yellow, part of them checked up a bit, one of them (I don't recall who) blitzed through traffic anyways, at which point the rest of the pack wicked it back up. I didn't see the incident, so I can't say with authority they were past it when they blew by traffic but I did think it was a touch odd. (Tough situation for them, as the traffic they were going by was pretty slow in comparison.)

noles19 likes this.
  15. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

They need to ditch that Fn Pace Car..... I thought Barney was gonna kick the door in...

Steady T and deepsxepa like this.
  16. dantheman

dantheman Yeah, it hurt.....

Yeah that was kinda odd.

17. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Remember this crap almost 10 years ago now?

18. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

I do have to say all the riders were very gracious during the fan walk. With all the pre race stress and chaos Cory West signed a poster for my 7yr old daughter with a smile..

Even club racing I don't want anyone in my face just before the race lol

19. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Cory is an Awesome dude! Truly one of the most real people I have had the pleasure of sitting around a fire pit drinking beer with!

Boman Forklift and TLR67 like this.
  20. I wasn't, but I would...and have been thinking about doing a trip exactly like that.

I would do it on something like a Tuono or Mulistrada (something comfortable on the street, but still capable of doing ok on track).

The only thing is that the Tuono would be much better on track, but offers no wind protection on the highways.

Ra.Ge. Raptor likes this.