1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dateline: Panties in a Wad...Women Sue Walmart

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Lever, Jun 22, 2004.

1. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Sorry, I consider two people being paid equally but one being expected to do physically exhausting work while the other is not, simply because of their sex, to be discrimination.

I've known stupid people who couldn't get paperwork right too, I guess I never noticed they were all guys.

The men at Walmart don't "sign on" for more physically demanding jobs than the women, they are placed in them by management. If the situation were reversed, and the women did the hard work while the men operated computer terminals, there would be a substantial outcry. If pay differences based on sex are discriminatory, then job assignments based on sex are also.

2. ZebProctor1

ZebProctor1 Well-Known Member

Should minorities be paid less than someone else doing the identical job with the same level of performance? No, but it happens.

--- And lawsuits are filed almost daily for this

Should minorities be offered jobs they are not qualified for or capable of doing? No, but it happens.

----If a non-minority were to file a lawsuit for this they would get laughed out of court.

Why can't shit be a give and take like everything else in life.... why do some people take when they can, and when it comes their time to give, they sue so they don't have to?

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

IYC - you kleep saying it's based on sex. I keep saying your example is based on physical ability. Find a girl that's my size putting labels on the boxes instead of moving them for the same pay and I may see it your way. In the meantime however, expecting people to do a physically demanding job they cannot actually perform is ridiculous.

4. In Your Corner

In my Walmart example, the sole determinant is sex, not physical ability. Certainly you don't contend that all men are stronger and in better physical condition than all women, regardless of age and health? The contention in the workplace is that all people are treated as equals, not equals only when it comes to pay.

If two people already employed by Walmart both apply for an open position which requires only light labor, and the female gets the position because the company feels better served by keeping the male in his heavier labor position, that man is clearly being discriminated against. While he may be better able to do the heavier work, why should he be stuck in that job simply because he is a man? And if that is the case, why should the woman not be paid less since she is unable to do work equal to the man?

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Cough, cough. :D

6. In Your Corner

Working atm on finding a crate for jwb, I think he would like it there.

Yes, it's the stupid I want to send over, I figure they will just blend right in in France. Plus I figured I'd give you something to do.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

No doubt they'll blend in. But you would also leave the US population seriously depleted. :)