1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dashcam

Discussion in 'General' started by Lawn Dart, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I searched - there've been a few references, but not a current thread on this. Last one looked about two years ago or so.

I'm considering getting a dashcam. There have been a lot of strange happenings in this area lately, and I want to be covered. Plus, I'm getting ready to sell some stuff, and I don't think anything is going to go south, but if it did, I want the possibility of documenting it.

Has anyone invested in a dashcam recently? I've read a bunch of different review sites "best dashcams of 2017" and every single one of them is different. So, I have no idea what to look for.

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

3. Lazy Destroyer

Lazy Destroyer Well-Known Member

I'm curious on this too. The last couple months I've seen some really questionable stuff on the road and it seems like an easy addition just in case.

4. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

strange things as in crime or strange road incidents? I almost hit a deer last week exiting I-65S to 440 memphis . 8th ave to my right... I guess the deer was getting a car wash and decided to cross 8 lanes of traffic.

5. BigBird

BigBird blah

also good for taping bikers kicking cars so hard they flip over

cpettit and SnacktimeKC like this.
  6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Given the wildly varying quality of these I'd say look for the features you want in the cheapest form and treat it as a disposable. Seems they all have a shelf life. Some shorter than others. Get an el cheapo and replace it when it fails.

BigBird likes this.
  7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I would get one from Russia......they seem to have the best footage on Youtube :D :D :D

8. malik ross

malik ross Waits for his asskicking.

9. 2001chromo

2001chromo Well-Known Member

10. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

When I looked this one up, Amazon offered a package deal including this, a 4-way USB charging cable, and a dozen vomit bags.

WTF? :crackup:

11. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I was going to say, check with the Russians, they should know. :D

12. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I was thinking about this exact same thing, I'd think you'd want at least one that has rear facing capability or the feature to add the rear camera too. I mean, if a guy rear ends you (stfu) you still don't have shit other than the jolt in your forward facing camera, not a conclusive video in a court situation I wouldn't think.

13. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

might as well make the back up cameras have the option to record now

BigBird likes this.
  14. BigBird

BigBird blah

well if you get hit in the back, you usually are ok in the eyes of the court.

Well except in my wife's situation...where she was stopped at the light and a 18 wheeler coco-cola truck trying to reverse into a loading dock broke the rear glass, and smashed in the rear quarter to the tune of $15K in damage. The driver was like she was going around the truck and hit him. Both my kids were like, we were waiting and boom the glass broke. It's in arbitration right now, and even the police report shows the truck hit the car with the middle of the trailer.

tl;dr Maybe a rear facing isn't a bad idea

15. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Yea but it doesn't prove anything, especially if said car takes off. With a camera you'll likely have a picture of the driver and a make/ model/ license plate possibly. If you're going that far....

BigBird likes this.
  16. Br1anbuck

Br1anbuck Well-Known Member

Woot.com has two different models for sale right now. Pretty good price. They are almost always $5 shipping on everything. If you aren't familiar with this site, they sell pretty much one thing all day. Seems to change around 1 a.m. eastern time, or until out.

17. BigBird

BigBird blah

they are also owned by Amazon

18. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

19. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Well, I wasn't even thinking about wildlife, but yeah, I guess all of the above. I've seen road rage, I've seen people doing stupid shit - merging when there's nowhere to go, people running stop signs. Yesterday, I saw a dually run a red that had been red long enough for the green arrow on the side road to come and go... I regularly see people tailgating 10 feet or less. Its like Fury Road some days.

20. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

I would not have thought the Predators losing the Cup would have had such an effect on the city. :D