1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dan Carlin, Hardcore History

Discussion in 'General' started by SnacktimeKC, May 26, 2016.

1. SnacktimeKC

SnacktimeKC Well-Known Member

Anybody listen to his podcasts? Just finished Ghosts of the Ostfront (WWII Russian front) and listed to several others, Blueprint for Armageddon (WWI) which is still free, Wrath of the Khans (Genghis Khan) and some others. Great way to burn some miles on a long road trip or just getting work done in the office.

What other podcasts do you guys recommend.

BHP41, backbone and Lawn Dart like this.
  2. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

I have Motopod and Paddock Pass for 2 wheel fix, collider movie talk and nerdist for movies and entertainment, star talk for science, and then serial, this american life, and radiolab for misc stories. Hardcore history is one of the best, though. I wish he could do more than 2/year but I understand the research he does and triple-checking facts for accuracy.

3. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Serial is ok, 99% invisible doesn't suck, stuff you missed in history class is good if you can get used to the hosts voices
    This American Life has a huge library of stuff.

BigBird and Lawn Dart like this.
  4. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I've been an absolute nut for the Freakonomics podcast lately. I love the unique take on everything... I listened to one the other day challenging the notion that winners never quit and quitters never win... Never ever tell that to a prostitute. They interviewed one who quit her well-paying computer programming job to be a high dollar hooker. She was making $450 an hour. LOL

BigBird likes this.
  5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

95% of people on the BBS should subscribe to Grammar Girl. :D

6. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

Intelligence Squared is great

7. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

Tim Ferriss podcast is also great

8. 6_Myles

6_Myles Well-Known Member

I do Hardcore History, Tim Ferriss, Barbellshrugged, Freakanomics, and The Way I heard it by Mike Rowe

9. Lawn Dart

Its because I use "..." all the time, isn't it?

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It's.
    I had no one in mind when I suggested that, but now I do. :D

Lawn Dart and BigBird like this.
  11. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

Thanks to this thread I burned through every Hardcore History episode available, and now I'm sad there are no more :(

SnacktimeKC likes this.
  12. Lawn Dart

How did I never see this? I don't even try with iterations of "its" anymore. The rules don't even make sense. This is one of the few where I completely acknowledge any lack of effort on my part to get it right. And, based on the number of papers I write for school, most instructors don't even pick up on it. (Not that I use "its" a lot in college papers)

For example, if I comment on this thread, I would refer to "Papa's smugness", not "Papas smugness". :Poke:

Here's an interesting note:

http://data.grammarbook.com/blog/pronouns/1-grammar-error/

13. river rat

river rat Well-Known Member

The Joe Rogan Experience is a staple.

14. BigBird

BigBird blah

Freakonomics and This American life are what I used to listen too. I just don't do podcasts any longer, because sleeping in the train is the bestest :D

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It couldn't possibly be easier to understand. If you can replace it with "it is," then use the apostrophe. If not, don't.

However, there is no circumstance in which you would say "Darts notorious difficult disposition." It's always "Dart's notorious difficult disposition."

16. Lawn Dart

:D Touche'

17. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Hardcore history is great. His common sense podcast isn't too bad either.

18. SnacktimeKC

SnacktimeKC Well-Known Member

All of them or just the free ones? I broke down and bought Ghosts of the Ostfront, damn good.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've just stopped using an apostrophe unless it's a contraction of two words.

20. Laz

Laz The New Guy

Another vote for The Joe Rogan Experience. If you like a good laugh also look into Bill Burrs Monday Morning Podcast.