1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Damn millennials.....

Discussion in 'General' started by rd49, Aug 20, 2018.

1. joec

joec brace yourself

Shit....how many of u guys don't know how to drive one of these? KIMG0823.JPG

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

3 on the tree....

Piece of cake

Banditracer, Potts N Pans and R Acree like this.
  3. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

Back in the day I worked at a gas station and had to go pick up a van. I was just asked if I knew how to drive stick and said sure.

It was a little shock to see a 3 on the tree but not a big deal.

4. joec

joec brace yourself

That's 3 of us old guys. ;-)

5. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I played with a first gen Bronco when I was 15 that had 3 on the tree :D It was different, but fun. (turned 40 this year)

Even though it may not be as efficient or as fast, rowing the gears is fun and I'll be sad when they're gone completely.

6. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

My first pickup...68 International with 3 on the tree

[​IMG]

7. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Those are some nice chairs you are unloading from your truck.

8. rd400racer

I'm to the left...wearing a green jacket:D

MachineR1 and brex like this.
  9. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

Next to Herb Tarlek's wife?

joec and rd400racer like this.
  10. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

When I was growing up, everything was 3 on the tree. I think you could shift that as fast as a floor mounted shifter...only drawback was the linkages would get all loose. Used to beat the crap out my Dad's '64 Dodge Dart with a slant six and 3 OTT.

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Werd. Had that on a 66 Dodge Van.

12. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

1961 ford pickup (former fire marshal's truck at Pearl Harbor) was the department's utility vehicle when I was an undergrad. Loved that truck -- we fitted it with three 50 gallon juice barrles and a small Honda pump for a type V (minus) fire rig. Coming back from an Rx burn in the valley, put out a median fire in Vacaville, much to the surprise of the city FD responding to scene a bit late. Shoulda seen the look on their faces...

13. rd400racer

My Harvester got the point were I had to hold the housing on the column with one hand while I shifted with the other, all while trying to steer the damn thing.

Try that with a cell phone in your hand ya wimpy millennials:p

14. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I learned to drive on an old Ford F250 with three on the tree. I was only 12 years old at the time.

15. brex

brex Well-Known Member

That's not herb tea, that's Herb!!

16. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

You had asked how many don't know. The answer would be, all that don't answer.

Yeah, three-on-the-tree, whatever. Four-on-the-floor...five, six, seven...ten, twelve, fourteen...who cares? All that matters is, which one can get you out of the ditch after you over-extend the limits of the car's nanny programming? :D
    An auto? Not even.

17. Manuals aren't a problem at all in urban areas when most other cars are manual transmission. Traffic tends to flow better. The problem is when you're surrounded by cars with automatic transmissions. Most people with automatics utilize the Deadfoot Driving Technique: Mash the accelerator pedal until you're going too fast, then mash the brake pedal until you're going too slow. Repeat endlessly.

This doesn't cause a big problem on open roads, but in congested areas it turns everything into a lurchy stop-and-go, even when the traffic isn't super-dense.

Since the Deadfoot Driving Technique doesn't mesh particularly well with a manual transmission, when the majority of vehicles are manuals you don't get as much of the lurchy driving.

18. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Blipped downshifts in my dad's Z06 are half of the reason I visit my parents these days. I wish I could install a quickshifter for the upshifts though. Stock clutch pedal has way too much travel for me to keep things smooth when the gas is on the floor.

I'll be 40 this year and know about and have seen 3 on the tree, but never driven one since they were all lawn ornaments.

19. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Same for me except it was a F100, same age.
    My first truck a 66 Chevy with a straight 6 250 and a 3 on the tree.

20. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Dad had a 67 C-10 Chevy Step side in which we used to go out on the farm roads and play "SparkPlug and Clutch". That's how I was taught to drive.