1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Damanged Mikuni Carb Cap. Can this be fixed?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by AMac, Dec 15, 2023.

1. AMac

AMac Well-Known Member

Anyone have any suggestions on how to repair broken balancing nipples on some early '90js Mikuni Carburetor Caps?

They are for 91-93 Suzuki bandits and are shorter than just about anything out there, and are hard to find. I have 3 carb caps that have the balancing nipple broken off. I suppose I could just seal the holes but then I'd have to swap carb caps around for balancing. See photo of good and broken caps for reference.

Carb top 1.jpg Carb top 2.jpg Carb top 3.jpg

I also wondered if there would be any issue using slightly taller caps. Katana carb caps from the same era appear to 1/4" to 3/8" 'taller', so I debated sourcing a set of those and seeing if they work. I'm not sure if there is enough airbox clearance. I can figure that out but I'm also not sure if taller caps would affect fueling.

Thanks for any help/advice!

2. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Think it will come down to how much you are willing to spend to salvage that. At a glance, I think you could drop it in a mill, counterbore a new hole, and maybe shrink in a new nipple. Would sorta depend on the diameter and if you can get the right tool and material. Brazing might work too.

3. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

Yeah, if I were in the position I had to fix it and not just buy another cap for cheap, I would drill it out, ream it, and press in a brass barb with some sealant or something.
    Those are the plastic type, right?

You could also probably get away with using a soldering iron and some filler plastic of similar resin. Might be nylon.

racepro171 and emry like this.
  4. backho

backho Well-Known Member

Regardless of the parent material, epoxy is your best friend.

5. AMac

AMac Well-Known Member

Thanks all for the suggestions.

BrentA likes this.
  6. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

May be helpful. One time I had a leak on the intake side in a 4.3 l v6 intake manifold in a 91 s10. ..I didn't know anything...I still don't. I didn't want to do the swap. I batched up a load of JB weld and popsicle sticked it all along the mating surfaces of the manifold assembly. I warmed the engine up first.
    Spatula skills not very good but I got it all where it needed to go because 8 hours later it started and ran for 40k more miles. Since then, JB weld is high on my list of "go to's".

BrentA likes this.
  7. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Id be surprised if someone hasn't already 3D printed those.