1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cycling computers

Discussion in 'General' started by turbodogs02, Oct 11, 2011.

1. turbodogs02

turbodogs02 Just batting at the bunny

Ok, I did a search and everything but didn't really see what I was looking for....

I'm in the market for a new computer. My bike still has the one that was on it when I bought it (a Trek Insight). It's decent, but I'm thinking that I want more. Heart Rate for sure, cadence, etc. etc.....something that is more comprehensive. I'm looking for something that will be able to play a bigger role in my training. I'm just now getting set up with a program from my club team's coach, and I really want to get up to speed (so to speak) and get the full benefit of what we're trying to do. My goal is to race more next year. I've had the bike for a year now, and have done two crit races so far. I've been riding a lot more lately, better quality miles, and I really want to start getting more serious with my training and riding.

So what say all of you? What are you using, what have you heard good things about, what would you be looking at if you were in the market today?

:beer:

2. sk8rat

sk8rat Well-Known Member

What are you looking to spend?

3. ofcounsel

ofcounsel Above the Law

4. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

I have an Android phone, so don't need to pay for the Edge series and it's GPS trace (MyTracks is free...).

I use a Garmin FR60 for cadence, wheel-based speed, and HR.

5. turbodogs02

I would say my limit would be in the $300 or so range, give or take depending on what I find.

That Garmin 500 looks pretty nice...I had started doing some research the other night and had a couple I was comparing back to back, and I'll be damned if I turned off the computer (I was taking a break) and forgot to write down what I was looking at.....now I can't remember them off hand...I'll start looking again..

6. turbodogs02

I was thinking that too....just not sure what the best overall solution is yet. MyTracks??....I'll have to look that one up.

*edit - I just looked up and read some reviews on the FR60...I would have never even considered a watch, but damn, that thing sounds pretty cool.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  7. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

8. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I use a Polar S625x HRM which worked with my old Polar CS200 sensors. I didn't dig the CS200 all that much. I went with th eS625x so I could have all the HRM features for my running also. This made me data fold together nicely.