1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cuting Groves in Slicks to make DOT's: How? info..

Discussion in 'General' started by gelly, Apr 28, 2011.

1. gelly

gelly Active Member

THis may sound crazy and i know it was done in the past racing days, but do anyone know the stips to cutting groves in slicks?

The story:

I have only used Pirellis and love them to death.
    Well they have two kinds of slicks out now.

The premire Race slicks Diablo Superbike SC ($447)
    and the new Slicks aimed at amature racers and track day guys.
    Thus far all the testers have raved about the tires and unless you are nearing track record speed they provide you with all that you need.

The only problem is I cant use them in super stock.

The prices for the new slicks "Pirelli Superbike PRO's run $365 a set.
    Thats about what i was paying in 2006. That will allow me to keep my budget and keep racing, but the almost $80 more for the DOT's and Race slicks is killing it fast.

They also make a DOT that I have and i have to say it is also good. But it is aimed at the street and trackdayer, and i dont want to find out durring a race that it wont last long. Thats the Rosso Corsa's $325 a set.

So, what are the steps to cut a very few small lines in a set? ANyone ever do it b4?

some info on the two new Pirelli tires...
    Trackday Riders

this is a sensible tire..

[​IMG]

High Resistance to heat cycles and cold tearing
    Great braking stability and prceise corner entry
    Easy warm up
    Improved mileage
    Compound optimized for trackdays and endurance racing
    RECOMMENDATIONS:
    If you have a dedicated track bike, and also run full WET tires when it rains, then the the Superbike Pro Slick will offer excellent grip and longevity for those dry, track days.

Compared to Pirelli’s Diablo Superbike SC tires, the PRO’s more flexible carcass, higher duration compounds, a new structure derived from the hypersport range and 17” sizes with similar profiles, the Diablo Superbike PRO works perfectly even with a stock chassis and suspension. Riders need not adjust their bike’s suspension to compensate for the typical movement of professional soft racing compounds, nor make the 16.5 inch wheel conversion typical of full professional setups.

With a development firmly rooted in the Superbike World Championship, the Diablo Superbike PRO is painted with technology gathered from six years of experience as sole Official Tire Supplier for the seven manufacturers and nearly 40 professional riders who set multiple track records over a dozen race weekends. However, today’s demand for more economical solutions from those passionate about on-track riding has altered the slick tire scenario, since the semi-professional slick riding experience is now sought out by club racers for training as well as enthusiasts just for pure trackday fun. New requirements are now centered on performance lasting: using the same tires over many weekends, a resistance to frequent entrances / exits from the pit, easy bike set up and pure fun in every condition. Pirelli has widened its racing tire range to fulfill the needs of this new market, in addition to meeting the traditional requirements of extreme performance.

Compound with Extraordinary Grip that Lasts
    The Diablo Superbike PRO provides more grip at lower operating temperatures than other professional slick tires, a benefit all riders can appreciate when they reach the tires’ performance peak without tire warmers and feel their super-sticky grip just after a few laps. This advantage comes from a compound derived by an innovative production process and the use of the latest generation polymers, a formula specifically dedicated to competition preparation and long lasting trackday riding. Specific chemicals and reinforcing elements contribute to attaining the ideal material stiffness, an element aiding in the resistance of heat cycles; its chemical composition remains unchanged throughout multiple track sessions and can endure numerous entrances / exits from the pit.

Pirelli Diablo Superbike Tire
    The PRO compound’s lower operating temperature, often encountered on the first laps on track, benefits riders with quicker tire warm-up and improved compound flexibility, reducing the tendency to cold-tear. Its immediate grip response avoids unnecessary tire spin and thus better wear. At high tire temperatures the PRO compound is characterized by a lower thermo-plasticity; a compound stiffness offering a reduced abrasion and thus improved wear, along with an increased capability to bear mechanical and thermo stresses, thus tire behavior is predictable both in extreme and mild riding.

Structurally Sound
    The Diablo Superbike PRO is characterized by an extremely versatile structure that adapts easily to a ‘stock’ motorcycle setup and combined with its higher duration compound guarantees maximum performances throughout more track sessions. Inside the carcass is Pirelli’s patented 0° steel belt, the backbone solution of Pirelli’s entire Diablo range of racing and supersport street products. The profile of the tire is amazing in the corners, with massive grip at super high lean angles without the need to compensate for geometry change or install aftermarket products to properly fit the tire in the swing-arm.

The carcass’s enhanced flexibility ensures higher dampening properties to better match the long lasting compound. As a result, the tire is very stable and handles in a uniform manner; it is very balanced in corners and stable under braking. The PRO structure is developed to control the overall tire temperature with a consequent reduction of wear throughout all tire components, resulting in not only longer life but more consistency of performance. The profile of the new Diablo Superbike PRO is a duplicate of the SC version which properly distributes all stresses incurred by the contact patch area, thus enlarging the footprint area to transmit fully the available horsepower to the ground.

The slick tread design avoids all potential wear triggers, specifically in colder conditions, and improves the riding feeling versus standard racing DOT tires. Diablo Superbike PRO is therefore the perfect combination of a racing profile, hyper-sport structure and a new generation of long lasting compound to deliver great braking stability and precise cornering, confidence at lean angles all the way to the maximum and optimal trajectory for the highest corner exit speeds.

High Performance at a Lower Cost
    The real 100% potential of true professional slick tires can be exploited only with a professional bike set up which can include special modifications (including a professional suspension system). This demands a high level of technical knowledge and can very often be extremely costly, which is not convenient for a typical racing for fun or trackday user. Therefore, Diablo Superbike PRO is designed to reach the maximum performance level of a stock bike with lasting performance and compared to racing DOT solutions of the same size and under the same conditions, will raise grip and feeling to an incredible level.

Diablo Superbike PRO is the ideal solution for club racers preparing for competition and racing for fun users looking for long lasting trackday enjoyment. It is easily recognized by a red stripe which is printed on the tire and for its red “PRO” marking on the sidewall. Diablo Superbike PRO is not homologated for street usage (NHS – not for highway service) and is available in original equipment homologated 17” sizes for the front: 120/70R17; and rear: 180/55R17 and 190/55R17, so there is no need to adjust geometry, swing-arm length or gearing to be able to fit them, just mount them and go
    High Resistance to heat cycles and cold tearing
    Great braking stability and prceise corner entry
    Easy warm up
    Improved mileage
    Compound optimized for trackdays and endurance racing
    RECOMMENDATIONS:
    If you have a dedicated track bike, and also run full WET tires when it rains, then the the Superbike Pro Slick will offer excellent grip and longevity for those dry, track days.
    Compared to Pirelli’s Diablo Superbike SC tires, the PRO’s more flexible carcass, higher duration compounds, a new structure derived from the hypersport range and 17” sizes with similar profiles, the Diablo Superbike PRO works perfectly even with a stock chassis and suspension. Riders need not adjust their bike’s suspension to compensate for the typical movement of professional soft racing compounds, nor make the 16.5 inch wheel conversion typical of full professional setups.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You can't. Yes there are people who can make cut slicks - you're not one of them nor will they be legal for classes requiring DOT's.

Also, explain the tags you put on this thread.

3. Turbo storm

Turbo storm Well-Known Member

To make it simple, you must have DOT's in superstock or you must run in superbike. Slicks are legal there. Run the slicks that you like in superbike and depending on the motor size, F1 or F2.

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

If you had posted 5 seconds later, the thread would have been done. I saw those and figured he was obviously not interested in anything serious.

5. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Pretty self-explanatory, right?

:D

6. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

not to defend the guy, but 1) I've done that to see what kind of ads the browser will pull up, and 2) crazy tags can make it easy to find your thread months or years down the road. Also makes it easier for your buddies from another forum to do the same.

Whether or not that excuses it is obviously your call.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I find it suspicious from a first time poster.

8. gelly

gelly Active Member

My logic:
    Slick by nature are superior to DOT's, these tires while being slicks are not better than Race DOT's.

The only reason I want them is price.

When alot of those rules were made you had slicks or dot's, now they are filling the gap in between. I have ran plenty of Stock races with either mix match slick/dot or just ran slicks because of the race schedule and time frame to swap out slicks to dot's.

Anyway, Im not a front runner and dont need almost $500 worth of tires that WOrld superbike use. These tires are for trackdays and amature club races....everything about them is perfect, except for not being DOT.

I know the answer to most will be dont run Superstock.
    1000's in the novice class can only run 1 race on saturday, and 3 races max on sunday. If im busted down to 2 races or 3 over a weekend, its starting to get to the point that its not worth coming out. 4 barely cut it.

The slicks are below DOT, so while it is cheating in a sense...there is no competitive advantage since these tires are below the Race DOT's, but are fine for my speed and skills.

The compound in Race slicks and Race DOT's are different and if i was to cut them..that would be cheating since the race slicks are supierior to the DOT's.

the tags are just a warning to internet tough guys out there, i dont play

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Warning to internet tough guys? Seriously?

Huh.

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That's the funniest thing I have read in a while. :crackup:

About slick tires: not that I would recommend doing such a thing, but if you don't finish anywhere near the front in the superstock classes, there probably won't be anyone protesting you.

That said, get yourself some DOT tires.

11. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Everybody dies. Dats srrz biz!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  12. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

That's not just the answer to most when it comes to running slicks in Superstock, it's the only answer. And it seems like you already knew that. So you weren't coming on here asking a question, you were coming on here to see if the rules don't apply to you.

:eek:

And if you are looking at more of a price point Pirelli DOT, check out the Dragon Supercorsa Pros. They are the old gen race tire and are generally available for less than the current DOTs and will be prices in line with the Track Day Slicks. Plus, they are an actual DOT race tire you can run in any class.

13. gelly

gelly Active Member

dot is atire with groves cut in it and rating lables. Construction, compound and everything else is the same as a Full on Race slick. While a real Street tire is a whole different thing. Race DOT's are still not made for street use. So what is the difference?

Read this article.

"How to choose the right motorcycle tires. Street Tires vs Race Tires - Sport Rider" i aint know how to post links here so you can google the article if u want

I constantly talk to Rich who is the east coast Pirelli supplyer and research everything Pirelli, the New Slick that I want is built off of the street tire carcase (totaly different than a race tire carcase) and a street trie compound...one of the reasons you dont need tire warmers with this slick...no other slick on the market can do that.

Its aimed at the dedicated track bike and amature racer who do not need track record tires, like Pros do. It's not much more than a street tire with no groves cut in it. Aimed at quicker warm up time, able to last way more heat cycles, and don't require suspension set up changes.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The difference is that one is legal for SS, the other is not.

15. Demented

Demented Well-Known Member

Race DOT's are still made for street use, just not intended for it. You can cut groves into a race slick all you want, that will not make it a DOT legal/certified tire and fit to be road legal or superstock legal.

:Poke:

16. gelly

gelly Active Member

I aint even joking, ppl like shit talking but got the balls to see me in real life!
    This is how i let ppls know right off the bat of how i run things on message boards.

17. ton

ton Arf!

hey Mongo, as this gentleman is clearly not a "new racer" per the heading of the subforum, perhaps this thread could be moved to general where it can get the attention it deserves?

18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

try filling out your profile and linking to your myspace account. Also upload a supercool avatar...like all the online gangstas! :up:

I get XXXXs and OOOOs from all kindsa hoes...
    but Ill turn your computer shit into str8 zeros!!!!!!! :D

19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

just look at my avatar... about to busta cap into a horse! :up:

20. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

^ You must be an internet tough guy.