1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom molded ear plugs at Road Atl??

Discussion in 'General' started by Kshuart, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Kshuart

Kshuart Well-Known Member

I'm a local provider of Big Ear Inc. custom molded ear products and was thinking about vending at Road Atlanta this weekend if there is an interest. I don't mind paying the vending fee and hanging out in the pits all weekend if there is interest, but I would hate to sit there all weekend and twiddle my thumbs. I'd rather pay the gate fees and watch racing then sitting in the pits not being able to see anything. :up:

Thought?? Any interest??

Thanks
    Ken

2. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

how much are they? how long do they last? what kind of added decibel reduction?

3. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

Yes,come out.

4. Photo_Chick

Photo_Chick Leo's Wench!

I have itchy dogs...I would love some...

5. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

yep, tell us a bit about them here. Im DEF. interested, as i wear ear plugs when i race as well as for my job. Would be nice to have some that are molded to fit and REALLY block out sound better than what i currently use.

6. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

:stupid: give more info, there is interest

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

group buy??

8. vito2279

vito2279 Well-Known Member

Definitely interested!!

9. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Absolutely!! Ever tried to find plugs for an 11 yr old that he didnt try every excuse not to wear them?? Definately interested! Tdub

10. Kshuart

The plugs are a 2-part medical grade silicone that is injected into your ear. The 2-parts chemically react and stiffen within about 3-5 minutes (kind of like 2-part epoxy). I then pull them out and shape them and dip them in a coating to prevent any allergic reactions people may have with silicon or latex. They are ready to take home in about an hour.

Sound attenuation is 27 - 32 dB. It just depends on the depth and shape of your ear canal.

Retail price is $85 plus tax, but normally do a show special of $70 including tax (works out to $65.42 plus tax). Warranty is for 3 years. Any problem with fit, coming apart, etc. is covered. Your dog chewing them or you loosing them is not covered. :D Most people can actually get 7-10 years out of them before their ears change enough to get new ones made.

I've done the AMA race at Road Atlanta along with Petite le Mans and other rallies, and motorcycle shows. The smallest kid I've done was 2 years old. A lot of women buy them for sleeping since their husbands snore. You can also shoot guns in them, swim, cut the grass, etc.

Thanks for the response everyone. Sounds like I need to get the vendor paperwork filled out tomorrow.

Ken
    www.174.bigearinc.com

11. Fuzzy317

I wear ear plugs to sleep (I work at night, and sleep during day). When you get setup, let the announcer know where you are located so we can find you. :up:

12. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

I can understand the dog chewing them up, but what If I want to chew on my own.... covered?

That is cheaper than I thought they would be. I might hae to look into that, for racing AND sleeping maybe

13. Fuzzy317

Hope your ears are clean? or do you like the taste of ear-wax? :Puke:

14. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

:lol...... neither, just being gross.

FWIW, I am obsessive about cleaning my ears. PAST the point of dangerous. Most ear docs say not to clean your ears with Q-tips, because you can push more crap in. But I clean them so much that nothing is there to push in.

I cant help it :eek:

15. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I went to the local hearing aid place to get mine done. They were willing to give me the molds they used to make the custom plugs. It was a couple years ago, I think they were about $60 and took about a week.

16. LordMDP

LordMDP ... ... ... ....

yeah-i'd be interested!

17. APCh8r

APCh8r Well-Known Member

best of luck to all of you, however Kshuart do you think you or any of the other reps will make it to Mid-Ohio soon?

18. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Might want to check if the track charges a vending fee.

19. Keep Up

Keep Up N 142

Interested

20. Kshuart

I'll be at Mid-Ohio for Vintage days and the AMA race both. I'm doing a track day there on the 31st as well.