1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cush drive on street SM

Discussion in 'Tech' started by iagsxr, Mar 2, 2014.

1. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

Thread in general got me thinking...

Is it really necessary to have a cush drive rear hub on a street ridden SM?

Last summer I picked up a titled IT465 for the front brake for my YZ250 restoration project. The stock rear hub doesn't have cush drive, but they also ran knobbies on them back in the day. Not near the grip.

Wouldn't care if it's hard on chain and sprockets. Hurting the trans would be bad. Good parts are a little scarce.

2. jboyd12

jboyd12 Well-Known Member

Thats a good question I am sure someone here will have an idea why. maybe check supermotojunkie.com and see if there is any info about it. My ktm 690 smc came with a crush.. I see some wheel companies offer you the option when buying them but it tend to be a lot more money.

3. Bunke10

Bunke10 Well-Known Member

Most, if not all, aftermarket SM wheels do not come with the cush drive hubs. My 450 doesn't have them, and haven't had any issues.

4. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

I threw a YFZ clutch hub into my street WR450 instead of building up a cush hub wheel.
    Works well.

5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

6. GoldStarRon

GoldStarRon Well-Known Member

Bikes without a cush sometimes have transmission failures. Mfg's don't spent the money on a cush unless they feel it is needed. But then many guys get a way with it..
    Ron

7. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

There's a cushion in the clutch basket on modern 4-stroke MX bikes, from what I was told that makes them work Ok in SM application. Old ones I have no idea about.

FWIW say factory Husqvarna street SM bikes that are made on the Enduro platform (450, 510) have regular dirt bike rear hub. I have not heard of transmission failures on those.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014