1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Curling

Discussion in 'General' started by Buckwild, Feb 17, 2010.

1. wingnutks

wingnutks Well-Known Member

They are used to control the motion of the rock - the granite stone that is 'thrown' down the ice surface. A game of curling is not played on smooth ice, as used for skating, but a pebbled surface. The ice surface is first cleaned and smoothed, then a fine spray of water droplets is sprayed over the ice. The droplets freeze to the ice surface, producing a slightly rough or 'pebbled' surface.

The stone is thrown with a slight rotation either clockwise or counter-clockwise depending on the path the skip decides it should take - the name 'curling' refers to the curl of the stone as it slides down the ice. Stones are usually made of granite and are highly polished. The underside of the stone is machined slightly concave, which produces a fairly sharp edge where it contacts the ice. As the games progresses and the pebbling is worn away, the ice becomes faster and the stones curl less.

Brooms are used to sweep the ice in front of the stone to affect its motion. Hard sweeping makes the stone carry further and reduces the amount it curls. Light sweeping does the same, but to a lesser extent. The sweeping action causes the ice to melt slightly, producing a thin film of water on the surface of the ice. This reduces the friction of the stone, as it does not cut into the ice as much.

Sweeping with the old corn brooms hard enough to make a loud slapping sound took a a fair effort on the part of the sweeper. Some brooms would have a strip of leather inside to make them more effective. Older curlers would use brushes, because they required less effort to sweep. However, brushes have replaced the brooms almost completely over the past couple of decades

2. akillya

akillya TPL Racing Squadra Corse

I think the Canuck skip Cheryl Bernard is kinda hot.

3. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

:crackup:

4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Yep, I get sucked into it every four years. It was so bad during the last Olympics that I tried to get a club organized at our rink (I need another excuse of a sport to drink beer).

That lasted until I found out that a basic set of stones cost about 10K.

5. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Make it go faster, and straighter. As the stone slows down it starts to curl. So there is a fine line between speed and curl that they are trying to get. That is why the "weight" of the throw is so important too. If you start wrong, it is hard to get it back right

6. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Watching the curling girls in tight pants is okay.

Some of you are pushing the "you know how I know you're gay" envelope. :D

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I was just about post the same.

8. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

Any of you clowns that watch this crap then claim not to watch NASCAR, well, I'm not prepared to call you liars, but yer hide'n somthun.

Liars. (now I'm prepared.)

9. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I watch NASCAR and I am not afraid to admit it. Well, at least until I fall asleep. My wife comes down stairs at some point and asks "Were you taking a NASCAR nap?"

10. akillya

Bit of a cougar!

[​IMG]

11. NJGSXR1k

NJGSXR1k Well-Known Member

Anyone see tonight's match of USA vs Denmark who were wearing pleated skirts? Just keeps getting better...

12. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Yeah ...

Man the US sux at curling lol

13. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Pics please :clap:

14. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Curling rocks! It is the ONLY Olympic sport that my whole family watches with bated breath, and nobody in our families have EVER been to a curling match or ever even known anybody who does curling competitively. Odd...

We make a little homemade curling stone from a plastic container of pennies and have matches on the kitchen floor. Pretty pathetic, but I cherish the time spent laughing with my college-age kids as we always go totally out of control with the stone.

Go USA Mens Curling Team!

15. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

:crackup:

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

What are some pre-requisits for being on a curling team? Maid and janitorial services?

[​IMG]

17. akillya

My head shipper broke his leg curling and the skip of our company curling team fell and separated his shoulder last month. It's worse than roadracing! Plus they serve beer while you play in non olympic events.

18. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Shouldn't someone that posts photos of curling dudes be banned? :D

19. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Especially while they are crossing swords :down:

20. Strick

Strick Good to be king

The Russian chicks are looking pretty good.