1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Curious...how many of you have high sided a Big Wheel?

Discussion in 'General' started by Metalhead, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I did. Like....ALOT.

2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

More pieces of the puzzle...

3. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Was it modded with a regular tricycle front end?

4. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

no but the front wheel flat spotted real bad in a panic stop when tied to your buddies big brother's car bumper

5. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

6. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

My daughter high sided her Power Wheels Harley...twice. After the second time she figured out full lock down the steep driveway was a bad idea.

Weirdest thing about that Power Wheels was a soon as I put the Harley sticker on the son of a bitch started leaking oil. I never could find the source.

Senna and Razr like this.
  7. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

The engineer in charge of designing the front wheel bearings for the Big Wheel, who seemingly knew nothing about children, decided that simply sliding a metal bolt through a thin plastic tube in the center of the wheel would afford sufficient durability for this particular application. I assume that he hailed from some part of the world devoid of hills. I also assume that he eventually went on to head the BMW Z4 design team, but I digress. As it happened, my own acquisition of a Big Wheel coincided with a family move to a house on top of the tallest hill in the county. I don't wish to get into the gory details on a public forum, but let's say that given enough room to reach terminal velocity, the aforementioned front wheel design was subject to catastrophic structural failure. If anyone wants to see what asphalt looked like some fifty years ago in the Deep South, my left ass cheek still bears a clear and detailed imprint. I am not making this up. This is a true story.

tgold, E Reed and Razr like this.
  8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I think I was in the 10th grade when they came out so no, I never even rode one.

Razr likes this.
  9. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

While we have breath in our bodies, it's never too late. I recommend the Road Atlanta paddock for the full Big Wheel experience.

Scott S. likes this.
  10. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

My buddy across the road had one and we completely wrecked ourselves on more that a few occasions.

11. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Green Machine for the win

[​IMG]

E Reed likes this.
  12. In Your Corner

I did this just walking dogs Friday (slipped on snow and fell in the street), I'm not about to kill myself on a Bigwheel.

injred right knee 1.JPG injred right knee 2.JPG

13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

DAMN IYC! Ouch

14. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Damn...:eek:

15. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

Nope... I could 2 wheel the eff outta my Evel chopper trike though. That was awesome.

16. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Not to my recollection, stopped riding those at about 4....
    Do remember there was no hand brake on my 69 model, all slides were initiated with a tug of the bars and some hip motion...

17. In Your Corner

I managed to break a rib also. That hurts worse than the leg does.

18. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I did some wicked burnouts on mine until I wore the front fire out.

19. Kelbor

Kelbor Well-Known Member

I grew up in the country bombing dirt/gravel roads. I've high sided, low sided, barrel rolled, undersided, endowed, wheelied, jumped, and jackknifed them sumbitches in every way possible. With two other brothers, I think my mom must have had stock in Big Wheels - Or at least put the owners kids through college. Worst was when you got them going fast and had to pull your feet off the peddles. Trying to nail the timing of the rotation of those peddles when it started slowing down a bit so you could start peddling again was impossible. It was like shoving your bare feet into a peddle blender. Worst was getting two toe nails ripped of in one go during one of these attempts. That hurt.

Metalhead and motoracer1100 like this.
  20. G.Rand

G.Rand Well-Known Member

Back in high school, a pack of us would put on a few layers of jeans and pick up Big Wheels from various front yards in the neighborhoods. We would then hacksaw the pedals off (so they wouldn't hit our feet), throw the Big Wheels in the back of a truck and head to the top of a mountain road at midnight. You haven't lived unless you have found yourself in the middle of a pack of Big Wheels racing down a dark mountain road .... the wipeouts were epic, and the rolling thunder was music to our ears.

Metalhead likes this.