1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crashed Car Question

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Jun 8, 2020.

1. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

This - it’s an OFFER
    Make your counter offer and move the process along . They’ll play ball .

TurboBlew likes this.
  2. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

This. If they don't play ball, pay a lawyer for an hour of his time to inform them, on his letterhead, that you will be proceeding with legal action. They'll pitch another offer out there.

3. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

You can negotiate the value of the payout. Do your research and provide printouts of similar cars for sale at higher prices. Add in any extras like wheels, new tires, etc.

I totalled a 1984 Porsche 911 about 15 years ago. They wanted to give me like $20K and I ended up arguing and got like $35K from them. (accident was not my fault)

VFR#52 likes this.
  4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

All valid points gents. We will try to see if they up the ante based on a veiled threat. She's sending me the insurance info right now.

Thank you all for the info I missed when typing. That's why I asked in the first place...I've never dealt with an accident from this position except for motorcycles, and they always gave me great payouts.

5. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

It's not a veiled threat. This is now an express negotiation for replacement. I was informed that the offer provided to me from my insurance company was negotiable if I felt that the original offer was not equitable. This was two months ago. 20+ years ago I totaled my Alfa Romeo Milano (not hard, really) and was offered a measly sum. I stated that I already purchased a replacement, so the insurance company simply repaid my purchase price.

It should be easy to search craigslist and facebook marketplace for values, then balance that against KBB. I don't know if you can get any compensation for time and effort to research a replacement, but it won't hurt to ask.

6. rd400racer

Well, I just spoke with the insurance company handling this. I spoke to him in a completely civil manner and explained where I am coming from and that they need to look at the comps offered on their proposal (older cars with more miles) and explained my position. They said they won't budge. Time for Saul.

kangasj likes this.
  7. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

This is a negotiation. They are trying to pay out the smallest amount they can. Your job is to not let them.

pscook likes this.
  8. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Don’t call a lawyer that runs tv ads. Nothing but a sweat shop. Find one that doesn’t need to advertise.

9. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Get a good attorney and slap a neck support collar on your kid and give 'em HELL !!

rd400racer likes this.
  10. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

PM sent

11. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

:stupid:

12. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

FYI... "pain and suffering" is standard 3x the amount of medical bills. maybe she should get checked out. plus missed work. plus a rental car to get around while their client ruined your car.

not for nothing, but when i got hit by a car on my 02' R6 that i paid $2500 for and used for 45k miles... they paid out $4500 for the bike, the Scotts damper, Yosh exhaust, my helmet and gloves that scraped on the ground, and doc visit to x-ray my heel, plus a few days of missed wages at my menial college gig and some P&S. All told i had a few bruises for a few weeks and got like $7500 out of it when i was thinking about selling it to a friend just the day before, for a pay it forward deal anyways. Adds up, find the stuff you're missing.

rd400racer likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm sure most here know how much I hate suing but this kind of deal is exactly when you need a lawyer. The entire job of the rep(s) you've talked to so far is to get you to settle for as little as possible. They need to cover all bills, pay for the lost time in doing all this shit, and put her in the exact same level of car she had. She did nothing wrong and shouldn't be out anything for it - if they don't agree to that, you get a lawyer to make them agree.

Explain to your wife that this isn't a bullshit suit, this is making your daughter whole. Not trying to get extra. Going through the same thing with the boss after someone rear ended her. We don't sue but we had to get a lawyer.

Ducti89, VFR#52, nd4spd and 1 other person like this.
  14. rd400racer

And your story is exactly why I think she's getting the short end of the stick. I bought a 2000 BMW R1100RT with 105K miles for $2500 about 6 years ago. It was hit in a parking lot. Progressive agent came to my house and typed out a check while in his car for $6800 (Thanks Flo!).

As many of you know, my daughter works at a car dealership. I had her ask who handles their car disputes. She's getting in touch with that individual at this moment. I gave the insurance company a chance...they can eat a turd now as far as I'm concerned.

motoracer1100, VFR#52 and nd4spd like this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's the insurance companies fault for being stupid in the first place and they'll pay for that stupid.

YamahaRick, Ducti89 and nd4spd like this.
  16. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Did the cops check the kids phone to see if he was on it ? Standard procedure now for cops in NY, any kind of car wreck they ask to see your phone.

17. rd400racer

Not sure, but one thing I didn't mention (which doesn't really have any bearing)...there was a large protest taking place exactly where the accident occurred. Peaceful, but taking up the entire surroundings. The plus is that the area was loaded with cops and witnesses . They got to her in seconds.

18. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

i think bikes get treated way differently though, just keep that in mind. the blue book on all our bikes almost bares zero resemblance to their actual condition or market values. everyone here knows damn well that a 7 year old sportbike with 60k miles on it is not worth half its value new. they are also real quick to total bikes cause of the individual costs and lack of aftermarket OEM stuff for them. doesn't matter to them though that my motor was burning oil or that the floor drops out of the market after like 30k miles on bikes or that you could get a used tank for $100 off ebay. to them that tank would have been $1800 right along with the lights and fairings and dented frame. they do a way better job with cars though.

i'll also add this... i got T-boned like your daughter did in my 3 year old Lexus CT the night before my first day at a new job 5 years ago. i was a total dick to their company, but they gave me a rental for 2 weeks, i had a broken nose and some shit from the airbags, made them give me P&S, and i made them fix EVERYTHING on the damn car... even down to the front tires which felt "flat spotted upon first test drive" due to me slamming on the brakes and dragging them so hard. all that body work and airbags and shit and i was honestly surprised they didn't total it. i wished they had, although its given me literally zero problems and my wife still has it. all in all though, they paid out probably close to $18k all said and done on a car only worth like $22k at the time cause of all the extra crap. fight for the rental car and go see a doc if she's hurt at all.

19. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Did she get a rental car? If so you need to drag this shit out til they beg you to take at least 12K.....

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

And if she doesn't have a rental car, you can tell her that she works at a Porsche dealership, can borrow a car every day and is in no rush to take their check. :D

rd400racer and Funkm05 like this.