1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crashed bike and repairs

Discussion in 'General' started by Bandit730, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Bandit730

Bandit730 Racing neophyte

I wanted to get some input/opinions/feedback from the wera folks out here because well, this place is full of opinions :D.

Awhile back, a fellow racer was getting some seat time on my bike when the unfortunate happened and they ended up wadding my bike up. To the point where about the only thing that didn't sustain any damage was the motor and shock.

Now, would you expect this person to do the bare minimum to fix it or would you have the person fix it to the point where it was when you handed it over to them? For me, if I've wadded someones bike up then I'd get it back to where it was when I took it over. Unfortunately for me this person doesn't feel the same.

Believe me, it's a shitty situation all the way around and will probably dissolve a friendship.

2. nk140

nk140 Well-Known Member

I would fix it to the condition it was when I got on it in the first place.

3. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

I would never hold one of my friends to wrecking my bike. I would expect/hope they would help out to get it to at least a ride able condition but you take the same chance of wadding your bike up as they did, it just happened during a time you weren't riding it.

^haha, good call!

4. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

If I let some one ride my bike and they crash it, I would not expect them to fix it at all, it was my choice to let them ride it, so I would think of it as if I crashed it myself.

5. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

I don't ride anyone else's bike under any circumstances just because of this. I don't let anyone ride mine for the same reason.

Personally, I would fix it better than before just out of principle if I had wrecked it.

6. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

I lent my bike out a few times back in my racer days.

The deal was if they broke it they fixed it. I also didn't let anyone ride it who I knew wouldn't be able to replace the bike.

One guy did crash it, and was cool about paying for the repair stuff, so it worked out.

Always work out the details before the worst happens.

7. Bandit730

At least ride able would be somewhat acceptable however the bike isn't ride able and needs more parts to even get to this point.

8. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

More info needed.

Did he wad it up because he whiskey throttled it into the hay bales? Did another racer cause him to crash? Or was it simply a racing incident?

Scenario 1, it should be on him.
    Scenario 2 or 3, you are probably assed-out.

Good luck....but nothing good ever comes out of letting a buddy race your ride. Hope it all works out.

9. sauce314

sauce314 BROWN DYNAMITE

the guy that crashed the bike is a racer,he's been racing for yrs.evens wrench's for a ama guy.
    he was asked to endurance race he said yes.he knew the cost of the race fee's.& that if the bike was crashed during the race, then it was to be spilt 3 ways.(witch is fare in my eyes)
    he crashed it in sat practice while getting seat time & wants the team to help him fix it.he's been around long enoff to know that un writen code.you crash it you fix it.
    he should fix it not just say i has x amount into it & i cant do anymore.he has no honor in my eyes.

10. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Unless you asked him to ride it if he crashes it he fixes it. IF it were me I would make sure its as good or better than when I borrowed it.

I am a slow learner, but I'm learning to not loan stuff out because I take better care of my stuff than other people do.

11. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

just like the insurance company pays... return the unit back to pre crash condition, nothing more, nothing less.

if it was clean and state of the art, fix or replace it. if it was beat, and rashed already... used parts will suffice. the crasher should pay for parts and labor, or fix it themselves. Ski

12. pitchick317

pitchick317 Member

I've been around the racing community for a long time and have always know it to be a place of close friendships and family like relationships. For the most part people seem to be eager to help each other out, meerly for the shared passion of the sport.

In my opinion it is a very clear and unwritten rule that if you borrow a bike and crash it, no matter what the cause of the crash is you are responsible for the repairs/costs. Nobody twisted your arm to ride the bike in the first place....it was your choice to ride it knowing the possible outcome. In addition if you didn't have the means to pay for repairs etc then you probably shouldn't have gotten on somebody elses bike in the first place.

I think its extremely crappy sportsmanship to return a bike that you wadded to the person you borrowed it from when its not even in riding condition! I don't know many (if any) racers that would accept that and or be ok with that....especially at the regional level. Most guys who ride for the local clubs are out there to have fun and work hard to pay for the bike/parts that they have. Have the decency to replace what you wrecked because everybody knows if the roles were reversed that expectation would be there!

13. Bandit730

I felt the same way. The guy who wadded it is more than capable to fix it (funds and time). He's just decided to wash his hands of it because he "got over a $1000 and a lot of time in it I can't do anymore" which is complete bullshit in my book.

14. rugbymook

rugbymook Under Construction

Great philosophy!!!

Can I borrow you bike next weekend??? :D

15. Bandit730

Scenario 1 - and to boot, it was a track day practice and he was an CR in the Intermediate Group

16. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

In every case when I loan the bike out and say, "You break it, you fix it" it means return to me the bike just like I gave it to you OR in better shape.

Minor rubs, scratches in the bodywork is one thing. But for example you low side it and rash up the bodywork...it better be getting fixed with new paint and sponsor logos, etc.

Guess there is a reason why I don't loan my bike out ever.

17. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

You need better endurance partners, but like has been said on here a hundred times before.... have a written agreement when forming a team for endurance. There have been a lot of friendships ended over this very same thing. This comes up at least once a year. You don't really know someone till they owe you something.

18. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

Then in my book, he should be fixing the bike. End of story.

19. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

If he wont fix the bike the friendship wasnt worth much to begin with. If you tear someone elses shit up you fix it, even if it means eating Kraft Dinner for the next 3 months. Anything less is pretty high on the douchebag scale.
    If you can figure out a way to beat his ass and not go to jail I would make a point of doing that too!

20. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Well that's because you obviously have waaay too much expensive personal R&D in them