1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

crash in t1

Discussion in 'General' started by jarcoco, Aug 15, 2001.

1. jarcoco

jarcoco shimmy shimmy coco puff

this is the first chance i've gotten to get to a computer, i'm out of town. i made a mistake, i feel terrible about it. i caused a crash this past weekend in t1 in the 750ss race. i never wanted to be the one to take anybody else out. i spoke to the guys involved in it this weekend but all i could do is stand there stupid and say sorry. i was glad that everybody was ok, albeit banged up. my guilt was compounded when i didn't even go down. i guess i'm hoping that by writing on the bbs, i'll be able clear my conscience a bit and maybe get some input from anybody that might have seen it, the whole thing is still a bit foggy for me. i was passed by the rc51 on the straight and i pulled up behind him to catch a bit of a draft before the brakes. when we got to the brakes, i pulled inside to try and re-pass him and thats when i saw the traffic jam in turn 1. i tried to get her settled down, but in my panic, i think i missed a shift (not sure). i made quite a few vital errors in those few moments, the worst of which it seems, was my lack of focus on what lied ahead. i was concentrating so much on the rc51, trying to race with him, that i assumed there would be a clean track waiting for us when i pulled out from behind him. i made a mistake. i don't really know what else to say, but to the guys involved, again, i'm sorry. i feel like alot of people probably lost some faith in me on sunday, but please don't be afraid to race with me, i've learned a big lesson.

2. rob600rider

rob600rider THE MAN

Hey man, sorry to hear about your wreck...

It could have been worse, you could have gotten online to find that someone started a thread bashing you in front of everybody..

Glad to hear you and everyone was ok

3. wera122

wera122 Guest

Jarrett,

First let me compliment you for standing up, admitting you made a mistake, apologizing to those involved and learning from it.

The crash happened right in front of me and what I saw is exactly what you described. I got draft passed on the front straight going into turn 1 and there were 3 guys battling for position.

I remember you coming up the inside of the track into turn 1 and thought to myself "man, he's really far inside and going real fast" and thinking it wasn't going to be pretty.

The guys who drafted me that were battling started to make their turn into 1 and you were still coming up on the inside. You bumped the guy on the inside and he went down instantly, taking out the 2 guys along side him.

I had to get on the brakes harder than usual to avoid the bodies and bikes sliding across the track. I saw you run off the track but didn't know if you crashed or not as I was looking into turn 2 once I cleared turn 1.

You obviously learned a lesson here, so don't let it bother you for too long. I know we all get excited in the heat of the moment while racing someone, but we still have to focus on what's ahead of us and make decisions based on what we see. That comes with seat time and experience.

The rule of thumb that I race by is "when in doubt, back off and try again later."

I'm not trying to make you feel bad when I say this, but I saw the crash coming a mile away and was already prepared for it. Even though it happened right in front of me I was still able to make it through.

Don't dwell on it too much and we'll see you next month at CMP.

Tom

4. MR-MICROPHONE

MR-MICROPHONE Breakin' the Law!!

I have to agree with Tom. It is very commendable for you to get on the BBS and apologize to everyone involved. I know you are a good person, and I don't even know you all that well. I'm sure that those who know you better would say the same. I thought that it was very cool how you showed your concern for those who were injured. Standing at the back of the ambulance, hanging around to see how the other guys were. It was obvious to us in the tower that you were genuinely concerned and alot of guys in your situation don't do that. So, like Tom said, don't beat yourself up too much on this. It was a mistake, you obviously feel bad about it, but you also are man enough to show that you care about it. And the best part is that noone is seriously injured. You haved just scored points in my book.

Keep the chin up man!!
    O==~~

5. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Well-Known Member

jarcoco:

Class act! You set a fine example for others to consider. Move on - you have made peace with both your words and your actions after the crash.

6. WERA872

WERA872 Well-Known Member

I was one of the ones that went down in that accident and if would make you feel any better you could buy me a new exhaust system (Akrapovic), tail section (Sharkskinz), subframe (stock), right rear set (Pro Tek),
    rear brake line (kevlar), fairing bracket (Graves). You dont have to get the bodywork painted because it was not painted when I crashed. It was a brand new bike that I had to get after totalling my other one last time at CMP and breaking my wrist. By the way all this is to fit 01 GSXR 600.

JUST KIDDING S**T HAPPENS, but thanks for checking on us after the crash and saying you were sorry. Somehow that seems to make it not as bad.

Jeff Walke 872

7. GREG#22

GREG#22 Well-Known Member

just wanted to know if you were ok jeff and jarret you did'nt mean for any of this to happen it could have happened to any of us. See you at talladega. bye the way how is it going in san francisco? i am sure there are some nice people there (guys) stay out of trouble and dont go into any br with Y.M.C.A. playing. peace!!!!!

8. gocr6

gocr6 i fall down....

hey greg, it sounds like you know a lot about that bathroom situation out there? gross!! [​IMG] to everyone in the crash, i hope you heal quickly and the bikes come together easily. is everyone going to tally?

9. wera122

wera122 Guest

I'm sitting out Tally this time around. Too many weekends out of town and too little cash. Looks like I might have to start my "Get out of debt in the off-season" plan a little early this year. [​IMG]

10. gocr6

gocr6 i fall down....

dont do it tom!!! you are letting those feelings of maturity and responsibility get in your head. [​IMG] c'mon, it'll be fun.

11. scuzzlebutt

scuzzlebutt Proffessional Twat

Try not to take me out at Talladega in B superstock Coco. [​IMG]

12. jtross

jtross New Member

I was one of the unfortunate riders involved in the turn one crash. I was riding the RC51 #330. I don't remember what happend very clearly so I appreciate you guys that saw the crash telling us how it unfolded. I do remember coming to my senses in the back of the ambulance and seeing Jarret? standing there talking to me and my girlfriend. Thanks for coming to check on me and for the apology. Unfortunately, 2 of the 3 riders that went down in turn one were on the same team (Team Motoace). Myself and #304. We are both banged up quite a bit and our bikes are bent so it made for a long ride back home to Birmingham. But, now we are looking forward to Talladega and working hard to get the bikes back to race ready. Anyway, I guess crashing is an unfortunate part of our sport that we are all subject to. I just hope we can race more safely in the future and learn from this. Now a word from our sponsors; check out www.motoace.com and be sure and see Jason from Stoney Custom Paint for your trick race paint jobs and helmet painting. He'll be at our tent at Talladega.

13. novice#374

novice#374 Well-Known Member

Hello guys!
    I was the first one to go down in turn one!
    Just got my mri results,and...they all agree I'm screwed up in the head.(but that was from birth)
    don't be so hard on yourself dude,everybody makes a mistake.We all appreciated yor concern and honesty.Bike will be ready before CMP , but my arm might not.But if not race on guys i'd do it for ya'll.
    My wife wishes to thank everyone who assisted in the accident.
    Thanks for all the posts they helped fill in a lot of blanks i had.Doc said it would be a while before i regain all of my memories, but at least i remember all the good times i've experienced with all of you guys before the accident.
    until next time
    [​IMG] ps a new akro can would be great [​IMG]
    later Anthony "the Joker" Jacques #374

14. ANGUS

ANGUS "go ahead, pet me"

Just wanted to say on Coco's behalf,you may be sure this episode has been the cause of some serious stress for him. I haven't spoken with him since the incident but,I can tell you this is a man of character. He has even been so selfless as to grant me the use of his R1 while I am between bikes.This man takes the safety of his fellow racers seriously,and is of the highest caliber.