1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cracked Ribs?

Discussion in 'General' started by Cajun Kid, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Cajun Kid

Cajun Kid Well-Known Member

Any of you guys ever cracked a rib or two? And how long till did they take to heal?

Thanks

2. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Mine took at least 6 months before they quit reminding me they were there,

3. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I cracked 4 of mine a couple years ago. They take as long as any other bone to fully heal, but the pain only lasts a few weeks. By pain, I mean "sneezing feels like getting shanked by a 3' screwdriver" pain. They'll be sore for some time after that, but it's tolerable. You'll learn how to control sneezes and coughs to make them more bearable, but if you absolutely have to, hugging a pillow helps.

4. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

^--- Bruised mine at VIR, turn 17(a), August 4th 2012. They finally stopped hurting around the middle of September.

Broke one in a bare knuckle, body shot only, booze induced, back alley boxing match with a friend one evening. :D It stopped hurting about two months later.

5. :stupid:

First week, really painful. Second week, somewhat painful. Third week slightly annoying. Fourth week, just enough to remind you that you broke something. That was when I broke them without any other injuries. When I broke them along with a vertebrate, and also ruptured my spleen, liver, and small intestine, I never even felt them. I was more concerned with the bonfire inside my stomach. That and the morphine every 8 minutes over-rode the rib pain.

6. LOL... one of my buddies and I used to do that in High School.

7. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

I broke a handful of ribs once. With all of the other broken bones and punctured lung, the ribs never once bothered me. I don't remember ever having an issue with them, but then again, I was on some pretty good pain meds for the first couple of weeks.

8. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

they hurt like hell for about two weeks. Be really careful to stay away from anybody who has the flu or a cold, as coughing is like a slice of hell.

I had three cracked ribs, now my tits aren't even.

9. d-wire

d-wire Well-Known Member

6 wks

10. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Man I popped a few a couple years ago. Wasn't sure they were broken until I sneezed a few days after my crash. Do not, under any circumstance, sneeze haha!

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I slid a kart sideways into a tire wall. Never went to the doctor, so I was never diagnosed with a cracked rib. But it hurt for about three months.

12. AJ

AJ Well-Known Member

Bruised only one rib 5 months ago. It still hurts when sitting or pressing up against something way more than my broken verterbrae ever did.

13. Cajun Kid

Thanks Guys, Its not the worst pain I have ever been in, just annoying... Hard to get a good night sleep. And i tried to go work out "run" and it aint happening :mad:

I'm only a week and a half in.....

14. Jay305

Jay305 Well-Known Member

Sums up my experience, I suffered 3 broken ribs, 2 partial fractures, bruised kidneys and a ruptured spleen. The ribs were the worst of it, I couldn't sleep on my back or sit up in bed. Every time I had a sneeze or a laugh it was followed by agony. I got over it and within 6 mo I was almost back to normal. It was just over a year before I got back on a bike and at first those nervous jitters persisted but not too long.

15. Cajun Kid

Ribs be damned! I will be going Flat Track racing in two weeks! :up:

16. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Not trying to make you laugh, but don't give up your side of the bed. My side hurt so much in August when we got home from VIR that the GF and I switched sides of the bed. I still haven't got it back!

17. Cajun Kid

Funny that you mention that. She is out of town And I have stolen her side LOL

18. CPav

CPav Active Member

Mine took about 4 weeks to be semi-comfortable being back on the bike/being active. Probably 6-8 weeks to be back to normal.

19. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I broke 4 in Rugby practice several years ago. Took about 6 weeks to heal. Weeks 1 and 2 were the worst. Sneezing or coughing was equivelant to the mideval ritual of purification through pain.

20. Number400

Number400 Well-Known Member

Ribs suck. Went over the handelbars in a bicycle race and hit the deck hard. My elbow cracked some ribs and I was sure my shoulder was broken. I got back on the bike and started to check myself out. Collar bone was intact, shoulder hurt like hell and the ribs, ouch, the ribs. I kept racing and was was having a hard time but I guess I was pissed and pumped up enough to carry on. I finshed the race 45 minutes later and asked my wife to take me to the ED. She was all freaked out and driving like a maniac. Missed a turn and did a hard, fast U-turn. That hurt so bad it was the first time I ever yelled at her.

Anyway, two cracked ribs. They hurt so bad for weeks. I could not even jog across the street to get out of the way of a bus. I did a duathlon just shy of a month later and the run hurt but did not limit me. If you did not get checked out, see if anyone you know has an incentive spirometer from the hospital. You need to work your lungs despite the pain.

So four weeks and you will feel more like yourself.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012