1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Covid19 PSA

Discussion in 'General' started by R Acree, Mar 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Wasn't even going to get on today but the interwebs acted up so had to fix it :D

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What exactly are they basing their guesses on?

Of course we keep going up in number of positive tests. Duh. That won't stop until you have every single one of the 327 million people in this country tested. The growth of that shows the higher availability of testing and nothing more than that.

baconologist and Shocker like this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The ones I'd nuke so far someone already got to :crackup:

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, and those rates will stay that high as long as the tests are only given to those with flu symptoms and breathing complaints. So far everything I'm seeing is only about 15% of those tested have this virus. So 85% of people sick and with breathing problems do not...

baconologist likes this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's been spreading that fast all along - those are numbers of tests not infections. Seriously, pay attention.

baconologist likes this.
  6. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Who?

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That's after your time.

motion and Shocker like this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You don't even pay attention to your own posts - confirmed case. That is not the same thing as the supposition that it was already here in unconfirmed cases. The only way to know is to test for antibodies in everyone who had any sort of viral infection in the last 12 months or so - and that can't happen right now and may never happen.

When it hits a really bad flu season I'll start to be more concerned. But keep in mind I was making sure we did all the social distancing stuff as much as possible long before we were all locked up in our houses. Being safe isn't the issue, being forced into something is the issue.

baconologist likes this.
  9. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Was wondering who you were commenting on. Probably someone who's posts I can't see.

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You haven't seen the sudden uptick in responses to old posts in the past hour by one individual?

11. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

I haven't responded to anything in this thread, as it's really too much to keep up with. As someone married to a physician, with many of my closest friends being physicians, I can say my opinion of what is going on is like a pendulum. At first, I felt like this was totally overblown. Then I started realizing what was going on from the healthcare side more and more, and I feel like I changed my mind a bit. But now, after weeks of data analyzing and actually speaking to some of my closest friends who have actually been COVID-19 positive, I'm swinging back the other way. The sheer number of people walking around with this that have absolutely no symptoms is mind boggling. I think there are plenty of things we should be doing, especially if you're in a heightened category, but to think the entire country should be shutdown over this is nonsense IMO.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes, Chicken Pox can be that severe.

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

For adults, mostly.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Exactly.

I totally get hospitals being prepared for being overrun but that isn't remotely close to the panic that is going on.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Kids too - it's not common by any stretch but it does happen.

16. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="Mongo, post: 5702088, member: 182]
    Being safe isn't the issue, being forced into something is the issue.[/QUOTE]

nail, meet hammer

17. Actually, it hasn’t been spreading that fast all along.

The more people that become infected, the more contagious people are roaming around spreading it to others.

If there are only 100 people infected, the number of people they will potentially spread it to will be will be anywhere from 200-300 (based on the current R0).

If there are 10,000 people infected, that means they can potentially spread it to 20,000-30,000 other people.

There are multiple graphs and screenshots from Johns Hopkins illustrating how the rate of spreading has been increasing for weeks now.

Seriously, pay attention.

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Here we go… :crackup:

19. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Those spread rates are identical.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You have absolutely no idea how fast it has or has not been spreading. No one has that information. All you have is the testing. My point was that it absolutely was spreading in much much much greater numbers than the tests show in the very beginning. We can absolutely be sure the numbers were higher than what was posted.

Not sure what you're trying to show with your math there either as that sure as hell supports my views more than yours :D

So yeah, try again there skippy :crackup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.