1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Covid19 PSA

Discussion in 'General' started by R Acree, Mar 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

G 97 likes this.
  2. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

So I was talking about what is actually happening at the hospital where my wife works and where I also worked for many years. Guess people actually doing the job don't have a clue.

3. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

4. G 97

G 97 Garth

Among others. :D

It sure was tragic when the neighbor kids swing set tower burnt down next month. :crackup:

5. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

What could possibly go wrong?

6. In Your Corner

7. speedluvn

Serious, question,
    When does one plant corn in your neck of the woods. I was tempted to plant some today, especially with the forecast that “spring arrived two weeks in advance” this year.

8. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

sheepofblue and G 97 like this.
  9. G 97

G 97 Garth

Soil temp should be @50F at @ 2.5-3 inches deep. We should get there this week in Iowa.

10. speedluvn

:beer:

G 97 likes this.
  11. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

Woe
    I think the Russian/Saudi oil fight would have dropped the stock market anyway, but not this bad. Unemployment was going to be rising with all the fracking coming to a halt.

One thing I completely disagree with you on is what our actions will be when this is over. I think it will be impossible to get into your favorite restaurant. The beaches and parks will be slammed. People will be so sick of social distancing that all they want to do is connect with others.

We can’t get people to stay at home now, why would they when the restrictions are released? Senior citizens might be weary, but everyone else, especially young people will be out in droves.

And lastly, in reference to the economy. When have we ever just turned the switch off? It didn’t just tank or crash, we stopped it. Who knows what will happen when we turn it back on?

Strange times but it’s just as easy to be optimistic as it is to be worried. :beer:

Shocker, Inst Tech and R1Racer99 like this.
  12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  13. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

So while most won't get infected and most of those won't get very sick, those that do should be aware that once admitted to a hospital you probably won't have ANY visitors. So take some time to talk to those you care about before going to a hospital, because you might not see them again.

Gorilla George likes this.
  14. In Your Corner

15. In Your Corner

16. In Your Corner

So you think a slowdown in fracking would put tens of millions of people out of work?

You are immensely talented at ignoring reality.

17. I am not sure about that. I think it will depend on how it all “ends”.

If we woke up one day during the summer and the headlines read “Covid-19 has been eradicated! Not a single confirmed new case in 15 days!...it is completely gone!”...then yeah, that would probably happen.

But I am sure that’s not how it’s going to work. We aren’t going to go from 100,000 new cases a day, to suddenly 0.

At some point the curve will flatten, and they will get treatments available for it. But I think it will be a slow process.

I saw it in airports across the globe, and in my home town...people have changed. People are scared. Nobody wants to touch anything that someone else has touched. Nobody wants to stand close to anybody.

Those fears are so deeply rooted, that it has become instinct. When someone coughs or sneezes, you can see the immediate reactions of people in the area.

I don’t think we will go from this, to suddenly shaking everyone’s hand, ignoring coughs and sneezes, etc.

In time, sure. People have short memories. Eventually things will return to normal. But I don’t think it will be immediate, especially because nobody will be immediately convinced the threat of Covid isn’t out there.

18. I am only talking about my personal little “niche” profession, but if the fracking slowed down it would be the best thing in the world for offshore drilling.

Whatever fracking related jobs might be lost, they would be made up for with the worldwide boom in offshore drilling.

The damn fracking has been killing us for years, long before the Saudi/Russia battle.

This is the worst, and longest recession in the history of the oilfield, and it’s because of all the fracking. If it wasn’t for that, oil would have been $80/bbl years ago.

19. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I think you're jumping the gun a little with that.....I can more likely see them using this to implement some sort of identification system to verify if you've been inoculated and immune to COVID-19 before you're free to roam around again. They said the ELISA blood test to start checking for COVID antibodies in people is supposed to start making it's way out there by next week. I guess I'll believe that when I see it.

20. In Your Corner

So, divide people into the clean and unclean? With only one group allowed out in public?
    And you think that's a good thing?

baconologist and sdg like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.