1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corsa III vs PP 2ct

Discussion in 'Tech' started by snikwad, Mar 12, 2007.

1. snikwad

snikwad Well-Known Member

Ok, seriously, please dont answer if youve never tried both, or know of someone that has tried both. I dont want speculation i want facts and experience.

1st of all i know its been beat to death, but now im talking about the Corsa III vs. 2ct.

well i hear the new hotness, or hot newness is, dual compound front and regular rear is the way to go on liter bikes, this guy i know has a R1 with corsa 3s all around and the sides are just too soft for the power of the bike, its all ate up, but the front is still nicely and evenly worn.
    And when you think about it, heating up the rear is not a problem and ive never had grip issues with the rear. Its felt lose when they arent warm, but ive never felt the rear slide like i have the front, while leaned over.

I really want to go with the Pirellis 1. because every other mofo is munning PPs, not that theyre not good, but i dont like riding the wagon.
    and secondly, ive always had Metzler tires it seems and i love em, but ive noticed that my M1s get squirmy when they get worn, so im wonderig if the pirellis are the same, but then M1s are ancient news as far as technology.

The thing is these tires probably will only see the occasional twisties, and maybe, just maybe a few off/on ramp attacks, but i cant mess with ramp no more since that one kid lost it and slid out on the interstate and got ran over, so im scared of them now, thats no BS. Plus i fond myself looking at the gaurd rail and thinking, "man i better slow down and chill the fukout."

So what to do.my M1s feel a little slippery once theyre a little worn, but when i had them racetech back on my 600, they were awesome, super stick, all up until the night i lowsided because of cold tires on that 30degree night.

So since the M1s are aincnt technology and the corsa iii is the hot newness, should i get those, or go jump on the PP bandwagon.

If youve tried the regular PP and regular Diablos i would still appreciate your input. Anyone?

2. Bmann

Bmann Well-Known Member

Well let me give you a great tip.

1. Diablo III treat them like a standard street tire at first like you were driving your new bike from the dealership the first day.
    2. Once they are scufed in they work great!

I had my first get off because I forgot to break them in and am use to race tires that really don't need much more than heat to stick right away.:up:

Don't work that great in new condition in 40 degree weather and making your first turn of the morning.:tut:

Great tires as far as the Diablos are concerned.

3. snikwad

yeah im always easy on new tires, so thats a given. anything else you want to add, how do they "feel" feedback, grip, warm up time, stuff like that.

4. 4yamahas

4yamahas Well-Known Member

I am running a set of 2cts on one bike and coursa3s on the other , both 180 rear / 70 fronts.. The coursa3 rear is about 6mm taller than the power. I have had them all on postal scales and the rears 2ct is 12lb 11oz / coursa is 13lb 6oz. The front 2ct is 8lb 12oz / coursa 9lb 12oz . The coursa3 does not wear out as fast as the power2ct , and although the front coursa3 is not supposed to be dual compound , it has worn on the sides a lot more than the regular coursa did for me , mostly backroads and mountain twistys. I belive the coursa3 will hold up better on the track but I like the power better , partly because of the weight and also the profile.The coursa rear is a lot rounder than the 2ct , with the 2ct being more v shaped. I just picked up 2 more sets of 2cts for the summer.

5. snikwad

ah man, now you really have me confused. i do like the idea of the taller rear, but not so fond of the roundness. What about the profile of the front, i hear that they feel like the bike is falling over when you lean it.

6. 4yamahas

The power has the shape of a tire that has been worn on the sides where the corsa is flatter kind of like a tire looks after it has had some center wear.
    If the bike feels like it is falling over after putting different tires on , it is probably because the bike setup needs adjusting to match the tires , or you may just get used to it after a few miles.

7. 4yamahas

Here is a pic of both side by side.

Attached Files:

8. snikwad

Thanks i get what your saying but what i mean is a pointier tire profile is going to have a more "falling into a full lean" feel than another that is more round.

Either way i really wanted to go with the corsa III, but someone posted a email reply form Pirelli that confirmed that the corsa III only has dual compound in the rear, the front is just a regular single comp, but a tad softer. Stupid move if you ask me, but i guess ill go with the rubber man. Unless someone convinces me otherwise.

9. Bmann

Bmann Well-Known Member

The did not make the front a dual for a reason the engineers said it was not needed.

Check this out this is why I went with these from this review was very helpful.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/12january07_pirelli_diablo_corsa2.htm

and this one

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/newsandupdates/122_0608_2006_pirelli_diablo_corsa_3/index.html

My main reasoning to use these tires was I wanted more bang for my buck. I wanted to do more trackdays and not hit as many races because I get tired of spening so much money on race tires that do not last very long. also you don't have to worry about the heat cycling as much as you have to with race compounds so you will get more life from these tires.

10. snikwad

hmm, i was just trying to find some stuff on the supercorsa.
    i think im gonna end up going with the Corsa IIIs after all.

After reading that entire article, the 2nd time around i dont feel like im getting a raw deal after all. Hell, Pirelli knows their trash so i can trust them.

Now Bman, and 4yamahas, have you guys have any crazy wear problems on your rears, what size bikes are u guys riding?

I know this guy with a R1 that has em and everyone keeps saying, oh no dont get em, because old boy has em and they dont last, blah blah blah, the sides of his tires are all chewed up where the soft compound it.

Now i remember my M1s used to do this and i saw a little vid someone posted from a site where this guy was explaining what causes these wear patterns on the edges of the tires groves, i used what little i could grasp from the vid to tweak my suspension and the tires no longer have that chewed up grove edges it did before. So is it safe to assume that he just has a just have a fuctup suspension setting? My buddy with the R1 that is?

11. Bmann

Bmann Well-Known Member

You are correct with the suspension needs to be looked at. Make sure your psi is 32-34 . I have an 04 750 and have not noticed any different wear than the wear I would have expected from the Pirelli super corsas pro's.

12. snikwad

BAM!!! and im sold.

13. Bmann

Bmann Well-Known Member

On a side note interesting note to backs up the article I did not have to do anything to the front tire as far as balancing is concerened it was on the money and the rear I just too one weight off and it was money. Also I never touched my suspension from when I was running super corsas to diablos.

14. snikwad

thanks man, its game over, its either the corsa III, or if i can get these supercorsas from ole boy on here. but its gonna be diablos.

15. snikwad

Well before i could get around to buying my Corsa IIIs my local hero came thru with some supercorsa pro takeoffs, and he also says he has a set of their new supercorsa pros, so im gonna go check em out, and im coming back with a set. then once these are worn out i'll get the CIIIs.

Today however i rode a friends 06 R6 with the PP on them, 1st time riding them which is funy because i recomended them to him. Anyway, the bike falls into corners like a parked bike with the kickstand up, its insane, its like full lean, or straight up, there is no middle ground.

Well, he likes it, i dont. 1 more for the Diablos. I cant wait.