1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cool series of articles in rrw

Discussion in 'General' started by timspeed, Jun 15, 2003.

1. timspeed

timspeed Well-Known Member

I had a really cool idea thismorning while I weighed myself. Not the idea that I can't seem to figure out the right diet and exercise routine. The idea that someone has figured out the right diet and exercise routines for roadracers. Roadracing World is about the things that surround the world of roadracing. Wouldn't it be a good thing to have some perspective from professional roadracers on how they set a routine for the season and off-season. To learn how they plan a diet routine and set their goals for weight versus size for optimum fitness in our racing sport. Give it a snazzy title and I would definately read up to get ideas on my own dieting or exercise. How about Rider Maintenance or Fitness for Fastest.

How about it J.U.?

I can't remember any articles specifically on this for the five or so years that I've been thumbing through RRW. I was thinking of a several article series to give us tips to be better people.

PS, I really appreciated the article on roadracers zen. I have my own pre race routines and understand the feeling of readiness when you are on the line in a focused state.

2. wera313

wera313 Well-Known Member

I remember reading an article written by a roadracing doctor from Tennesse about fitness last fall. It was pretty good but I'm not sure what I did with that issue.

I'd like to read about fitness from Rich Oliver and his trainer.

3. R Rahn

R Rahn re-Member

Read my mind

I've been thinking about this a lot lately since "the crash". I went to the Y the last week and tried to get a training program set-up. I told them what I was training for and the response I got was a lot of blank stares and "we don't even know what muscle groups that works."

I've read some articles that touch on the subject of diet and fitness but they're pretty vauge (sp?). What I'd like to see is a Cribs type thing (or an addition to Cribs) for diet and fitness programs where you go in depth into the workout programs of the differant top riders.

These scatterd thoughts brought to you by.....Work.

4. Gumby647

Gumby647 SeƱor Member

They could call it "Frig's".

5. mad brad

mad brad Guest

i always thought it would be cool to put telemetry on a winning novices bike. and compare the graphs with say the ama national champ on board of the same class. like rider X's graphs, and the last ama 600 champ's graph. {on the club racer's bike, and then the pro's set-up bike}

6. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

I'd like to read about Barry Sheene's training program back in the '70's. What a hero.
    RIP Barry.

7. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

I just wanna see a novice mid packer on an AMA spec bike with techs and all the support for a weekend to see how much time the bike's worth. JU...we talked about this last year and all we got was the Team Hammer Talent Search:Poke: Where's that test we spoke of?

8. R Rahn

R Rahn re-Member

If you want a *slow* novice I volunteer for a 600 test ride...

...provided I'm not held responsible for a damages of course. :D

9. wera313

wera313 Well-Known Member

Lucky Strike, pint of Guiness, repeat.. :D

To bad we all can't do that. As for fitness, I play alot of hockey which keeps my legs strong. I have a fitness program designed for college hockey players I use at the gym. It is also a great overall program for roadracing, in my opinion. Lots of squats, lunges, cycling, and magnum leg press.

10. Handicapped Racer

Handicapped Racer Well-Known Member

oh no im the slow novice pick me
    ohho
    ohhho
    oohhhh
    pick me!:D

11. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

ME FIRST!!! I volunteered to ride a Valvoline bike then compare it to mine last year.:D

12. timspeed

timspeed Well-Known Member

Anyway, It would be cool to get perspective from some of our roadracing heroes on how to train physically and with diet.

13. UGA Dawg

UGA Dawg Fertile Member

I've often thought about the bio-mechanics of road racing in conjunction with telemetry. Take your top Pro guys on a section of track, digitize the footage, and apply stick graph figure to the pro rider thru comp gen. (digitizing with a point/line stick figure the head, neck, shoulders, upper and lower torso, hips, knees, ankles, wrists) Take same footage of the "trainee" and overlay it onto the pro footage, and see how his/her body position, throttle position, bike input, rider input, attitude in braking/accelerating etc etc. are all different from the pro rider and figure out how to work on each of those pieces in practice. Thus making you faster. But, I'm just a retard though. :D

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The only problem with doing a full body telemetry is that you'd soon find out the top riders all have different riding styles - some drastically different, others just minorly. Trying to imitate one or the other might not be the best thing for you and your style.

15. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

Look at Norick Abe- he looks very non-conventional on the bike, yet he's fast as hell. I've seen plenty of club racers who look more textbook-perfect, but aren't near as fast. Perhaps Mat Oxley's "Zen" article in this month's RRW provides insight. Maybe it's more in your head than body.

16. R Rahn

R Rahn re-Member

I seem to remember a RRW article a while back titled "These guys are Crazy" (or something like that). Several moto journalists rode some factory prepped bikes and were pretty unnerved by how odd these winning bikes were set up. I think melissa did some of the riding/writing for that article.

The Zen article was the shit. I've had moments on the track but never to the extent, or length of time these guys do. Guess I need to pull out my old meditation books.

Mmmm....Visualizing myself surrounded by umbrella girls....Mmmmm

17. UGA Dawg

UGA Dawg Fertile Member

Yeah, I thought of that too. However, if you notice, alot of people that have similar body types have similar riding styles. For example, if "the trainee" is around 6'1" 175 lbs, they may want to emulate the style of Ruben Xaus. HEE HEE:D Seriously though, it's the choice of the trainee who they want to ride like. Or, once enough data is gathered on the trainees and pro riders, it can be crossed referenced to find the "best fit".

18. Renaissance man

Renaissance man Well-Known Member

I found riding a motorcycle on the track or dirt for hours at a time seems to be good training. So choose a dirt bike or track day...there is your answer for training.

Marcus

19. David Swarts

David Swarts Well-Known Member

See Roadracing World, April 2003, page 77 "Ask The Racers: Training And Nutrition"

Most pro racers keep the specifics (duration, number of reps, mileage, calories, time of day, etc.) of their training and nutrition routines secret.

20. Robby Card

Robby Card Well-Known Member

How bout a suspention comparison. LE, Traxxion, Thermosman, Computrack forks compared. Then a Fox, Ohlins, Penske comparo. Lap times, rider feedback, maybe a blind test like they did a while back on tires.