1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Continental race tires??

Discussion in 'General' started by gpstar748, Feb 22, 2009.

1. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

So while flipping through a MC magazine recently I saw an add for Continental tires....

it advertised their high performance street tire, their DOT race tire (apparently available in multiple compounds), and their slick (also available in multiple compounds).......the ad also mentioned they have a full rain tire

is there going to be anyone vending Continental race tires this year in the US??

i remember seeing one guy at the TT last year running Continental DOT's but never got a chance to talk to him.......

anyone have ANY experience with these?

2. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

On Continentals website I looked for a North American contact
    Continental Tire North America Inc.
    7800 Liberty Church Rd.
    Johnstown, Ohio 43031
    USA
    phone 001-740-966-3106
    fax 001-740-966-3107
    Email:
    [email protected]

I wrote to them last year and never heard anything back. I just wanted to try them. Shaun Harris talked about it on a thread about the same time last year. It doesn't seem like they want to sell their tires here. From What I understand that Europe has Contirace series. Why they haven't tried in the US yet is beyond me. Call them or email them and let us know what you find out. Really. I wouldn't mind trying something new. I can go slow on anything. :D
    Oh here is the link I got the info from:
    http://www.conti-online.com/generat...cycle/themes/distribution/distibution_en.html

3. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Rob Oliva at Lithium Motorsports is doing race support for them in 09 and he should be able to direct you.

4. omnivore

omnivore Well-Known Member

My sponsor/shop tech is supoposed to be getting me good pricing on these...but he can't get any firm answers from COnti USA on pricing for himself yet either. he finally pinned the only 2 sals reps on the continent down for a pow-wow at Indy last wknd, and explained that we needed info, price, and commitment. I will know more by next weekend.
    Sounds like Conti USA needs some sales reps-BAD!! 2 guys for all of USA and Canada? No wonder no one can get any info on them.

5. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

i thought he was only doing Pirelli this year. i think Sportriders out of the EauClaire area is reping Conti's this year, unless it's just being run thru Lithium.

and as far as their performance, from someone i know that has tested them, they are plenty capable for trackdays, but they arent up to the level of the big 4.

6. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Damn... I was PM'ing with a guy on this board who sells them... I cleaned out my PM box and now I don't have his contact info.... Sorry.

I ran a track day last year where a guy was running some Conti Race Attack DOT's. He loved them. They are affordable enough to just try a set IMHO.

7. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

So the long email I wrote the guy last nigght will probably go unanswered. :cool:

8. LMsports

LMsports Well-Known Member

Feel free to PM or call me for info, pricing, or to order. I can send price sheets via email for the entire product line. I have won races at the club level on these tires and for most people on the grid each weekend, these tires will be every bit of what they need. You can reach me at 800-894-7190 or email me at [email protected] and yes...we are looking for dealers!

9. LMsports

The person who chad (CB186)is referring to asked me to use some of these tires for his first AMA national last year. If he didn't feel they would be capable of qualifying him for the grid, I don't believe he would have asked to use them. So what I took out of the test was that he felt they were good enough for him to use for an AMA event regardless of how they stacked up compared to other tires. The rider was a Michelin rider who has no experience on any other tire brand and so cannot give a fair comparison to anything except a Michelin. Just so the facts are straight.

10. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

email sent

11. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

you should clarify that he said if you GAVE him tires for that weekend, he would run them, but he wasnt willing to pay for them at all.

12. LMsports

Chad, not sure what your axe to grind here is. But he never put that condition on me. And regardless, I wouldn't waste my time trying to qualify for my first AMA on tires that I didn't think would get me in the show...regardless of whether or not they were free. When you add up the cost of doing an AMA event, it absolutely would not be worth it to not make the grid or not do well because of a deal on some tires. That just doesn't make any sense.

13. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Did he qualify?

14. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

So did he pay for the tires or not? :confused:

15. LMsports

I'll ask him to post up here and let him tell it the way he sees fit. Instead of second hand opinion. I invite you to try the tires for yourself and then give your opinion, instead of speaking for someone else.

16. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

i think conti has been changing over the last few years, a few years ago nobody would even consider them, i have read some really good reviews on there high performance street tires, i think they are going in the right direction, competition makes everyone step it up a notch which isnt a bad thing

17. owndjoo

owndjoo muthapucka

I tested some DOT's at the end of 2007 at mid-ohio. they are a good tire indeed. Turned supersport qualifying times on them no problem. the rear was a little too soft for mid-o but the front was perfect. I was running Med/Med compounds. I'd like to get ahold of the slicks sometime too

18. LMsports

The rider tested the Conti's at a track day the weekend before the AMA national and we didn't have enough inventory on hand to support an AMA weekend as we were still in the development stages with the tire. So he did not run Conti's, he did qualify, and ran very well. Although it was Road America and was a complete washout with tons of rain and would not have had the chance to use the Conti DOT's anyway because of that.

19. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

no ax to grind, just that i specifically asked him about this, and the stuff that some of your riders have posted about what he said. dont misrepresent what someone says just to try and sell some product.

20. LMsports

He is a personal friend of mine and I am not misrepresenting anything. I have a larger problem if I try to coerce someone into buying something that they won't be happy with and I absolutely won't do that. Hey, if it isn't for you, stick with what you know. I sell Pirelli's also and so I offer choices. I'm not concerned with trying to prove anything regarding the tire. People will ultimately make their own decisions. I just think people should comment on their first hand experience.

It is like anything on the internet. You will have all types of opinions. If someone has tried them and offers their opinion, then it is worth noting, good or bad. If they haven't, then they are just spreading rumors about something they have no first hand knowledge of.