1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Construction Types

Discussion in 'General' started by omatter34, Apr 6, 2022.

1. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Finishing up my garage and found a prehung 36" x 96" exterior door on clearance at Home Depot. It had been special ordered and didn't work for someone, but happened to be exactly what I needed and I was happy to save $1k. Problem is, the inspector wants the installation instructions showing the nailing pattern and I can't seem to find that info anywhere. I believe it's a Jeld-Wen door. Any help would be appreciated.

2. BC

BC Well-Known Member

HD millworks will have those on file.

3. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

1: contact home depot pro counter/customer service to see if they can assist.
    2: Jeld-Wen's website has all kinds of install instructions i just located, filter through their system by "exterior doors" and document type "install instructions" as i doubt my filters will transfer when you click this link: https://www.jeld-wen.com/en-us/docu...ent Type=Installation Finishing&query=docAll
    3: last resort, on the jeld wen website you should be able to locate a customer service number and call and ask. you will probably need some info on the door itself so they can supply the proper documents.
    4: slide the inspector a Benjamin and see if that works. :D

omatter34 likes this.
  4. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

See of this works...

Page 4

Attached Files:

omatter34 likes this.
  5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

omatter34 likes this.
  6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

you'll want the FL product approval # and engineering page with the fastening pattern. Make sure there is a decal or identifier in the product.
    Typically 4" out of the corners, 14 oc in the field. Some require tapcons in the threshold.
    Dont forget to remove 1 factory hinge acrew & install a supplemental longer screw in each hinge to grab some buck.

E Reed and omatter34 like this.
  7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

America!!! F$&/ YEAH!

where you can vote with no ID but can’t be trusted to nail a pre hung door into a stud.

we’re #1 we’re #1.

woo hoo. Suck it Venezuela, China and N. Korea.

Motofun352, BigBird, 969 and 13 others like this.
  8. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

In the 35+ years I've been in the business I haven't heard anything as idiotically stupid as this. That's a f*@^ing inspector justifying the reason he gets paid, nothing more. SOB has probably never worn a nail apron in his life.

jdaniel, BigBird, tl1098 and 8 others like this.
  9. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

Sounds kind of like a "new guy" on the job who hasn't yet settled into the reality of the job. Or maybe just an asshat. :crackup:

BigBird likes this.
  10. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

This. This aaaaaaaalllllllllll day.

11. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

He wants the nailing pattern for a door?!! Did you piss him off? Is he new? I've had some things I thought were stupid over the years, but never that. Did he count the count the nails in the trim too?

BigBird, Rico888 and omatter34 like this.
  12. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

Install instructions for a pre-hung door.... inspection dude is either a complete newbie or is jerking your chain!
    But I am sure you can find some generic instructions from the internet that "technically" says how to install a door/jamb unit.

13. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Fuck it...counter sink lags all over the friggin' casing after shim and tell him to suck it.

14. TurboBlew

Oh you're one of those contractors...lmao
    In 25 years of being a GC in residential & commercial construction... Ive had a few failed inspections. Most were oversight type stuff from trusting a trade to self police. Once I stopped trusting subs... my fail rate dropped to zero.
    If the mfg product paperwork isnt onsite for both the installer & the inspector... why would you expect to pass?

15. TurboBlew

what happens when those instructions dont match the FL product approval #s submitted with the permit?

16. omatter34

-No, he's not new. Actually a nice guy that's been doing it a long time.
    -No, I didn't piss him off.
    -Seems it's just a Florida thing.

17. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

So are mosquitos.

18. omatter34

Thanks!
    I'll follow this, hang the instructions with the door and call him back out.

19. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

BigBird likes this.
  20. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Yeah I get it...hurricanes and stuff.

But the exact nailing pattern for this exact model door is a bit much. Especially to the rest of us who live in less "bureaucratic" states.

I also laugh as i was watching this couple build an off grid pole barn shop/apartment in Idaho. They said in one video their county doesnt have building inspections for this type of structure. They built the whole thing "inspector free".

God that must be nice, says the guy who had to call for inspection on the depth of his pole barn holes last year.