1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conservative take on movies: Gran Torino v Milk

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Robert, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

Andrew Breitbart in the Washington Times:

Milk: small businessman goes into politics, does a more effective job and takes a principled stand against firing people for actions unrelated to their job performance. Isn't this precisely the sort of discrimination the GOP shrieked about for the last 15 years?

Gran Torino: Clint baits bad guys into excessive violence so he himself can be non-violent and let police safely handle it. ie. an eye for an eye means the whole world goes blind. The ends don't justify any means. This is more Ghandi than Dirty Harry. What part of it is “conservative”? Surely not the racial slurs Eastwood's character made earlier on.

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I think reading anything into the decisions of the Motion Picture Academy is a stretch.

3. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Why on earth do people care about entertainment industry awards? Hollywood types are flakes. Is there any group of people with a less credible opinions? They love Sean Penn for some weird reason. They loath Clint Eastwood for some weird reason. Hollywood's take on these actors has nothing to do with the entertainment value of their films. I refuse to read more deeply into the issue than that.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

^What my friend Joe said.

I like Penn better as Spiccoli.

5. nycstripes

nycstripes Meatball's Dad

There's nothing new under the sun in Follywood. Conservative movies get snubbed. Conservative actors get passed over for work. It has nothing to do with the quality of the script of final product.

Also, as Acree has stated, then trying to figure out who wins is another joke in and of itself. In the end, nothing that comes from there is supposed to be more than just mindless entertainment anyway. I am sure Eastwood would like to be nominated or win something, but I am also sure that he's more content with selling out at the box office more than winning a gold plated naked man trophy.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They all felt bad about the marriage thing so they had to give Milk the awards. Pretty simple really.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I have to admit I don't know which actors are conservative or not. Can you name five good ones so I can decide if your statement that they don't get work has any credibility?

You're right, movies like Schindler's List or Hotel Rwanda would never make one think about serious topics. :Poke:

Again, do you have anything to back that up? I have yet to hear an actor say they don't care about getting an Oscar.

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Not Republican neccessarily, but judged by the website I googled to be conservative to libertaran in their political views. I have not checked for accuracy nor passed judgement on the quality of their work.

Charlton Heston
    James Woods
    James Reynolds
    Bruce Willis
    Bo Derek
    Clint Eastwood (should be Clint...lol)
    Patricia Heaton
    Rick Schroeder
    Ann-Margaret
    Emma Caulfield
    Pat Sajak
    Arnold Scwarzenegger
    Lisa Kennedy
    Tom Selleck
    Jesse Ventura
    Shannen Doherty
    R. Lee Ermey
    Kim Serafin
    James Earl Jones
    Cheryl Ladd
    John Malkovich
    Heather Locklear
    Drew Carey
    Kurt Russel
    Barret Swatek
    Tracy Scoggins
    Edward Hermann
    John Larroqutte
    Denis Leary
    David Ruprecht
    Aaron Russo
    Chuck Norris
    Gerald McRaney
    Fred Thompson
    Kelsy Grammer
    John Gavin
    Delta Burke
    Tony Danza
    Robert Klein
    Johnny Grant
    Richard Lee Jackson
    Johnathan Jackson
    Fred Grandy
    Connie Stevens
    Dixie Carter
    Jimmie "JJ" Walker
    Dale Dye
    Jim Nantz
    Bob Gale
    Adam Sandler
    Micheal Moriarty
    Robert Duvall
    Glenn Ford
    Danny Aiello
    Gary Sinise
    Jerry Doyle
    Denzel Washington

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

If I removed from that list those who actually have no problem getting work, those who are too old to work, those who have a reputation for being impossible to work with (e.g. Shannon Doherty), and those who have made tens of millions of dollars, there are very few people left on that list...

10. Robert

I wish he would stay out of politics but Penn was fantastic in that movie. When he is on he is truly a great actor. Ironically his best previous performance (IMO) was in Clint Eastwood's film, Mystic River.

Still, I feel robbed. I had such high hopes for Mickey's acceptance speech. :D

[​IMG]

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I agree he is a fantastic actor.

I don't care about his political activism, I have never paid attention. The only time I watch those people outside the movies is the Tonight Show. :D

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

A good actor gets work and is paid well. Hell, even bad actors get work and are grossly overpaid. Awards are another topic entirely. There is no rhyme or reason to determine how the academy is going to vote. Spielberg made a lot of great (or at least hugely popular) movies before he won an Oscar. Clint has at least two wins for directing.

13. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

"Slumdog Millionaire" is actually a good movie dispite winning awards. That's not very common in my experience. I'm not sure what criteria the Hollywood types use to judge movies but it's very rare that it agrees with what I consider entertaining.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

No argument here. I was questioning the claim that conservative actors get passed over for work. If he was saying they get passed over for awards, I would think it's not necessarily an unreasonable claim.

15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I wouldn't argue that, except that there have been some notable liberal leaning actors and directors that got passed over for years, Spielberg for instance.

I'm beginning to think they sit down and think, "The public expects "A", therefore we will vote for anything but "A"."

16. Robert

Penn wrote some mindless drivel on HuffPo about his meeting with Chavez. He is about as bad at journalism as Fred Thompson is at politics.

I don't mind celebrities using their fame to help a political or charitable cause. My only complaint is when they start ad libbing w/o a script. :D

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I don't mind them expressing their view so much as I hate when objective journalists seek them out.

18. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

People are under the assumption that sticking a camera in someone's face or a mic in their hand makes them somehow better informed and more intelligent than the ignorant masses.

This holds true for the public's regard of entertainers and politicians. Why do you think millions are glued to their tv to watch a "celebrity" dance or go shopping or just walk around on these idiot shows. They assume that because a person is on camera they must be worth watching. It's sad it what it is.

19. 999

999 Well-Known Member

Ben Stein has been passed over for both roles and awards. That guy is awesome.

Anything Sean Penn can do he can do better.

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

<cue Ben Stein Voice>Dude, I'm so wasted.<end Ben Stein Voice>