1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Concrete Driveway Help

Discussion in 'General' started by Pittenger5, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

It's funny, they added cuts to the first 2 panels, but nothing for the res . Exactly where it's all cracking.

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

If they placed the concrete during a cold spell, it might have been a curing issue.

3. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Can pea gravel be used as a base? I’ve got a pea gravel driveway and some extra pea gravel in the back I could spread to level things out. I can get wire mesh for free.

Would love a concrete driveway but not for
    6-7k

4. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

Only if you could get good compaction. I would say that depends on how much of it there is and what its on.

5. 969

969 Well-Known Member

What is is under the pea gravel?

6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Which one? There's a bunch of them. :D

7. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

An older washed out 3/4 lime stone gravel I believe. I didn’t put a bunch of pea gravel down and where my truck goes it’s compacted pretty well. Could almost use the extra I got about now to make it look better.

May just get another quote since I’ve rehabbed the driveway since the first quotes and concrete prices were high

8. Tifosi

Tifosi Well-Known Member

9. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Pea gravel doesnt compact

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Granite screenings

11. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

^^^correct^^^

Due to shape of pea gravel, it would just move around if you were to try and compact it.

Depends on where you live. SoCal is very different than say New Hampshire as far as proper prep for a slab/driveway pour is concerned.

Here I would get my rough grading close and use sand to clean up grade prior to driveway pour.
    For a slab, also have approved vapor barrier below sand prior to pour.

Or, just breakup the pour into smaller areas and never worry about cracking....

photo 1-2.JPG