1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Concert Ticket Rant

Discussion in 'General' started by StanTheMan, Jan 4, 2017.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Spectating and participating are not equals. If you were paying $250 to be on stage with Metallica but had to pay $20 to get into the arena first, bitching would not only do your right, it would be your duty. :D

TurboBlew and Razr like this.
  2. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

This is why you need to discover new bands that are in their prime and charge 25$ for show tickets. Old wanker has-beens charge ridiculous amounts because they know their fans will pay a premium to try to relieve their youth. Plus the old fans have a lot of money in their matresses and in old socks under the bed :D

A few years ago we had paid 150$ to go see U2 but then remembered how much they sucked now and how much Bono's voice is off key live. We sold them at face value and decided to encourage new bands instead.

Sweatypants likes this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We're not making money off of the show our customers put on, for that analogy to work Metallica would be paying us to play (and we'd be paying the venue). :D

4. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

The most successful touring band ever liked to give their music away and acted as their own promoter and sold their own tickets.

Sprinky and ChuckS like this.
  5. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

Go see up and coming / lesser known bands at smaller venues.

I just bought tickets for four shows in the January Jams series at The Barter Theater in Abingdon VA for my wife and I. $300 for four shows, and the Del McCoury Band show was $110 of that.

cpettit likes this.
  6. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

I miss Jerry.

Sprinky and Dits like this.
  7. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Trying not to head to the dungeon with this, but a big part of why concert and sporting event tickets are so expensive is the corporations buying them and writing the cost off of their taxes. If you look at the age of the corporate execs and their big clients, most of them are in the age range to go see the Elton John, U2, Journey, and Chicago shows. They are not interested in the latest rap or pop singer.

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

That's 'cause their audience was stoned and didn't care how bad they sucked and boy did they suck. :D

9. Dits

Blasphemer! Shouldn't you be playing hall monitor in the dick bump thread?

ChuckS likes this.
  10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

They were the only band that could turn a background jingle into a 24 minute suck fest complete with TWO drum solos and a harpsichord solo.

Nah, Papa is on wang patrol this week.

kjohnson, brex, dtalbott and 2 others like this.
  11. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Yeah I haven't been to a concert in years just for this reason..... Support your local Bar Bands!!!!

12. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

just to be clear here... we talking about Greatful Dead? or Phish? cause they both kinda fit that mold and both suck real bad. just trying to make sure i have my hate in the right place. thanks for your help. take care.

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dits is definitely a Deadhead, no idea if he's also a Phishhead.

14. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I just ordered a $1500 shower door, and the guy wanted to charge $17 for a bottle of cleaner. GTFO!

Hide that shit in the cost, and make it "complimentary". People love paying extra for free shit!

Boman Forklift, pscook and noles19 like this.
  15. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Hey, does your dad live in Willnean? Was just talking shit about you today with Danny Lacey.

16. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Sucks is in the ear of the behearder. My tastes run very counter to the common hard-rock/punk/metal stuff so regularly regaled upon here (If you had to pick a mode, it would be something like Van Halen, and goddamn does Van Halen suck:Poke:).
    I agree with small venues, but my later-in-life tastes run to jazz, so, well, that's all there is. :D

17. Dits

I went to a Phish show once. The music is ok but the fans are entitled, prickish trustafarians.

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I'd argue that Black Flag (with Rollins) was the world's hardest free form jazz band. :D

My favorite venue is a place in DC named The Black Cat. Cheap, you can get Yuengling in a bottle and not one of those plastic dixie cups for under $3 and you can go outside to have a smoke and not have an issue getting back in. Last time I was there, the bands were all outside (some bumming smokes) talking with the fans and these were not just local no name bands. :)

19. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Pretty much, charge me $45 for tickets cool. but don't tell me they are $30 until i get to the check out and then now they're $45..

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You described the overwhelming majority of deadheads I've ever met. You can't follow them around living on shit you can make in a VW bus.

kjohnson likes this.