1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer gurus front and center.

Discussion in 'General' started by Orvis, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

OK, I'm giving up and asking for suggestions. I usually use Firefox as a browser but today I launched my IE11 so that I could print only a portion of a site page. (Cannot do it on Firefox)

I discovered that IE will let me click on any address in my favorites and only some of the sites shown on my Yahoo home page and have them actually open. If I do a search string and select one of the sites shown on that search I get a blank (white) page and the address bar shows only IE. nothing else. If I right click on a link and save it into my favorites I can launch it from there just fine. I think I had this issue three or four years ago but I don't remember what I ended up doing to fix it.

Lawd, hep me.

2. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

[​IMG]

No idea. Try using a tool like Jing to screenrecord what you're doing so we have a better idea of what's going on.

3. Bunke10

Bunke10 Well-Known Member

Find a way around using IE11 is your best bet. I'm not really sure what you're asking.

4. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

What I need to know is if anyone has encountered this glitch with IE.

The problem; I typed in a search query into IE "boiling water temperature under pressure" and it presented a few pages of websites with information on this query. If I clicked on any of the sites the page acted like it was going to load but then the screen would go blank except for the IE header at the top of the page. If I right clicked the link from the search page and added it to my favorites I could open the page from there.

Using Firefox I read many suggestions about this issue but got nowhere. I normally do not use IE except if I want to highlight a part of an article to print. Firefox does not have this function. With Firefox you have to print the whole page, or pages. Since I have IE I simply wanted it to work properly when needed.

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

What other programs do you have open?

6. Bunke10

Bunke10 Well-Known Member

Have you tried different search engines? google, yahoo, bing...

7. Fireshot will solve your printing issues in Firefox.

8. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

In Firefox, if you hilight something, you can also choose "Print Selection" right below the print rage section.

Your choices are:
    Print All
    Print Pages (x) to (z)
    Print Selection

If you choose the third, it should only print the text you hilight.

9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Does this codger go to sleep at 8 0'clock or what?

10. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Go into internet options, then to the advanced tab then try the reset IE. I had to do that a couple times over the years to clear out an issue that pops up about every 3-4 yrs.

BTW I've had more issues and problems with firefox than IE.

11. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I have Firefox 40.0.3 which is the latest version and you cannot highlight part of a page and make a selection in the print page for "selection." It doesn't work. From what I've seen on Firefox's site they are supposed to be "working on it." Yeah, right.

Firefox is what I use most of the time so IE is just a backup so to speak. Just trying to make it work properly is all I'm trying to do.

By the way, I go to bed at 10. :up:

12. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I've tried resetting IE twice and so far no joy. I remember having this problem three or four years ago but I don't remember what I had to do to fix it. Memory, what memory?

According to my computer guru (the guy that builds my computers) IE 11 is the first version that's pretty secure against many of the new viruses. I suppose I could start using it again instead of Firefox but I just like Firefox better. I'm used to it.

I'll figure it out eventually. :up:

13. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I'm on 40.0.3 as well, and I have those options.

As a work-around, you can also copy/paste your selection into a word document and then print.

I do this at times.

14. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Yeah, if I want to buy fireshot pro I can print in Firefox. I've got the free version so when I try to print a page it tells me I need to be in Pro Fireshot to do so.

15. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

No other programs open.

16. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I have Yahoo as my home page on both Firefox and IE. Yahoo is the search engine I use and it works just fine on Firefox.

I've discovered that if I go to favorites and launch an address it will load just fine however, if I click on a link within that page it will not load. It has something to do with links only.

That does give me some ideas though. (I just discovered that little tidbit)

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Pop-up blocker?

18. brex

brex Well-Known Member

19. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Chrome allows you to highlight and print.

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

'sup PC?