1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming soon - motorcyle mode in google maps

Discussion in 'General' started by L8 Braker, Dec 10, 2019.

1. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

All the folks I know that ride bikes in heavily congested areas... dont need an "app".
    My buddy in NJ has a GS so changing from express to local isnt an issue on the turnpikc, it once was, with his Concours. Even navigating from Staten Island is drama free.
    A couple friends in CA just zip right between cars or use the shoulders. Traffic in LA is so dense you could get by riding a Grom at near full speed on the 5 during peak hours.

3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

If Google is your guide you're already toast.

969, ducnut, cpettit and 2 others like this.
  4. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I don't think that would be relevant for North America, where we have a very different use of motorcycles than most places in the world. Here, most places don't even allow lane spliting and filtering through at traffic lights. In Thaïland, for example, you can use a motorcycle at its maximum urban potential and they are an extremely efficient way to work through traffic. Here, you'll have assholes trying to block your way or even run you off the road for trying stuff like that...

ducnut and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  5. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

The only Google maps feature for motorcycles that I would like to see is more preferences for "unpaved" and "twisties".

Phl218, Sabre699, SpeedyTide and 3 others like this.
  6. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

I wonder if the app has road signage that will inform you of the possible road hazards :D:crackup: 61v6Rsu7dEL._SY355_.jpg

socalrider, Scotty87, Adam.B and 6 others like this.
  7. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Who uses a cell phone on their bike? Especially in the rain.

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I asked this question on a scooter forum and the mileage queens all use a dedicated gps vs a phone.

9. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I do.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  10. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

How about something useful, like "I'm towing a big fucking trailer mode"...so it doesn't try to get you to turn off the highway 3 exits early, make 16,000 turns down town, cross 2 sets of rail road tracks, drive over a single lane bridge and hit 23 redlights...all because it thought it would save you 13 seconds of driving compared to just taking the exit you should have.

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Many people use both.

12. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

upload_2019-12-11_13-12-55.jpeg

Sabre699 likes this.
  13. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

I’d like to see these nav options

Least turns
    Maintain designated highway
    Highway route higherarchy
    Most elevation change
    Most twisty roads
    Least stopligghts
    Least towns

14. ck.mecha

ck.mecha Well-Known Member

I was recently in Vietnam, Saigon and Hanoi, and Google had a "scooter" option for maps. Super useful as some of the "roads" it took you down are nothing more than 3' wide alleyways

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:stupid:

And add in long wheel base with the body close to the road so no stupid ass high tracks on the route.

16. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

TomTom Rider 550

motion likes this.
  17. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Until recently I didn’t. So, because I was bored, I set it up. I still don’t ride in the rain.

30DA24D6-8A62-4827-8EB7-5D86757A4C3E.jpeg

18. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I ride with my phone on my street bike all the time. Waze is great at letting me know when I should be paying more attention to my "surroundings". I have it set up to run powered, or not, and I can swap between my phone and my garmin or run both if I want to. With RAM mounts I can move it all between bikes as well (they all have SAE connectors at the front, so the SAE -> USB charger or Garmin powered mount works on any of them. Pretty simple.

19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Biggest fault with Google maps is you can't built a route with waypoints.

Senna likes this.
  20. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Huh? I do it all the time. Mainly from my Mac tho... can you not do it on mobile?