1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Color-rite spray paint help

Discussion in 'Tech' started by JamesG, May 7, 2008.

1. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

Hi, I'm doing some touch up work and painting a solo seat cover on my "blurple" Yamaha and I've been following the directions, but still one spot on the solo cover that "crinkled".

After much cursing, I let it cure out for over a month, sanded the whole thing and the problem area down to the primer with 1500 and then resprayed it. Got the same crinkle in the same spot again. WTF am I doing wrong?

I did try to use a single coat. Should I try to use a bunch of light coats?

TIA!

2. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Did you clean it with a tack cloth after sanding? sounds like it has something on it ie...armor all, chain wax, etc

3. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Yes use many light coats.

Also what did you wipe down the area with to degrease it?

4. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

I degreased the plastic with simple green before scuffing in up with sandpaper, then washed and rinsed it again.
    The place that crinked was at the lowest point of the piece, so I may have just gotten overzelous and built up too much primer and paint in that one location.
    I'll try again in a more patient fashion.
    Thanks,

5. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

You may have to use a sealer on the existing paint.

6. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Simple Green is not a degreaser you would use with paint. There are specific degreasers to use when you are painting.

7. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

This part was 'virgin' plastic, that I prepped pretty well. The paint is fine everywhere else on it except for this one spot. I am pretty sure it was just an "almost run" because I tried to apply to much to fast.

8. bcc

bcc painter /fabricator

you reacting with the clear and the new solvents from you adding the base is crawling under the open wound of clear.

Dust that area with light coats ,and when i say light coats i mean like 7 dots of paint type of light coat .its going to take a long time but if you let each tiny coat flash over and add another ,the solvents will not react and it will smooth out .If at any time during that you get any wrinkles ,stop sand very very lightly with 1000 and start over.

It happens all the time when you get under coats that havent cured yet and it will react forever .

9. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

Ran out of paint about half way thru the repaint, so had to order another #@#!#*!!!! $33 can of blurple. :(

sigh... So can I just pick up where I left off building up thin coats after a week with just a dust off of the now cured paint?

10. bcc

bcc painter /fabricator

paint wont be cured ,but you can dust it with light coats ,dont do any heavy coats even at the end .Light coats until its coverd ,the first time you push too many solvents it will react again.

11. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

What about the clear coat?

12. bcc

bcc painter /fabricator

same with the clear ,do a quick dry coat and let it flash for like 10min,then a decent wet coat ,let that flash and dry for about an hour to make sure its dry .then give it your 2 more heavy coats and you'll be fine.