1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coffee makers (nothing fancy)...

Discussion in 'General' started by Hooper, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

I'm looking to buy something for my dad for Xmas. It has to be something simple, dependable, and, maybe most importantly, indestructible. He's almost 80 yo so he has become pretty feeble. Poor eyesight and shaky hands tend to make the most popular options (glass pots) unfeasible. Reading reviews about drip coffee makers with metal pots (thermal carafes) make me weary because almost all include descriptions of messes made with faulty pot placement/lid attachment/reservoir filling/etc.

I'm almost to the point of just getting him a good old-fashioned steel percolator.

What say the beeb? Is that my best choice?

2. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

I never thought I'd say this but I love our new Keurig. It uses those little k-cups. We still use our normal one and of course the fancy one with the milk frothy thingy but I find myself using that one the most. Pour in some water, stick a cup in there and you have a cup in a couple of seconds.

3. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Yep...just got one of these at work. Sounds like an option.

4. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

A Keurig may be good for the old guy.

I have one, but I keep it in the RV. I really should have it at home.

5. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Kettle, cup & years supply of Tasters Choice instant coffee.
    or
    Keurig's ease of use, makes it a winner. :up:

6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Personally I gave up machines for a simple Melitta cone filter. Prolly won't work for pop though. He might do better with one of the single serve machines. That way it brews right in the mug. I can't soeak for the quality but Starbucks just came out with one. Or the aforementioned Keurig.

7. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

I've got one of those myself and I love it (try Timothy's 'Parisian Nights' if you like it bold!). But I'm not sure my dad can be sold on making only one cup at a time. Certainly an option though. :up:

8. Putter

I like and I don't like that. If I know I'm gonna be around the house all day I still make a normal pot. But in reality we rarely ever drink the whole thing. Kerri grabs a cup, I grab a cup, and we take off for work. Coffee isn't expensive or anything but it still feels good not to waste it all the time.

9. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

Yeah, I use the Keurig during the week to make a single cup to drink while I'm getting ready for work but on the weekends I prefer a pot of coffee that I can use to refill/reheat my cup as needed. My dad is even more 'old-school' than I am so I'm guessing that the Keurig may not be received too well by the ol' fart. :)

10. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Keurig FTW. If he's still dextrous and likes to experiment, get him some refillable k-cups and let him brew his own blends. :up:

11. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

+1's on the Keurig!

Loved the one we have in our kitchen so much, I had to have the one cup per use model for the RV.

12. Putter

ORLY? You can get refillable k-cups?

13. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

I'm not totally up on new drip-style coffeemakers, but why would one with a metal carafe be any different than one with a glass one? I mean they both should have a spot where they slot into to align with the filter head, no?

(and, someone's gotta say it: Keurigs are gay as all getout. :Poke:)

14. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

They make a K-cup type dispenser that you can fill with your own coffee. A bit more work, but I like it.

15. Putter

Will that make me even gayer?

16. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Where you've been? Mine came with it, it's grey with a cap and a SS screen cup, you gays will laugh but Folgers medium blend is my fav......MUCH cheaper / cup of coffee using them too!

17. Suburbanrancher

Nope. Much better then dropping the better part of a buck per K-cup.

As a complete coffee whore, I swear by it :)

18. Putter

I just started this lifestyle. It all goes downhill after the Keurig.

19. Suburbanrancher

In that case you're need some leather chaps.

20. Putter

Darren borrowed em.