1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clutch Rattle

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Dr. GoFast, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

I have a 2004 CBR600RR, last sunday it went down on the left side (alternator/stator side). the stator cover was cracked a little bit.

When I start the bike up now, i get a very distinct rattle from the clutch basket (noise sounds very much like a ducati). I know it is from the clutch basket because i've put my ear all around the engine and it is very obviously coming from the clutch basket. I should add that the bike starts up beautifully, idles beautifully, revs perfectly, and the clutch/transmission does not slip or jump out of gear or anything like that. in other words- the bike FUNCTIONS fine.

So, figuring that I may have knocked something loose in the basket I pulled the cover off and all the plates. All were inspected by me and I also enlisted the aid of a mechanic who agreed with me that everything looked normal. I cleaned and oiled the plates and reinstalled, making sure to torque the springs to spec, etc... reinstalled everything and the noise still persists.

The noise goes away when the bike is warm and it is lifted off the kickstand. it also goes away when i lean the bike to the right. once i put it on the kickstand (leaning left), the noise comes back. also, once it's warm, i can pull the clutch in and the noise will go away.

i understand it's hard to diagnose things over the internet, but regardless- it can't hurt to put it out there. any ideas?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  2. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

ok, i've made some progress on this. i was thinking about it and the more i thought, the more i was led to investigate the left side since that's the side it went down on... i had woodcraft rearsets on it and the bracket bent backward toward the swingarm, this caused the shift rod to contact the frame and cause the heim joint which connects to the splined shalf coming from the bike to get bent. i thought that perhaps this put a "pulling" force on the splined gearshift shaft coming from the engine. i pushed and pulled on the shaft and found that it comes in and out too easily. i don't think it should be able to move like that. i believe i actually broke the gearshift splined shaft coming out of the engine :( will this be hard to replace? what is involved? will i be approaching it from the left side or the right side of the bike?