1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

clutch micro switch

Discussion in 'Tech' started by SLIM, Jul 22, 2004.

1. SLIM

SLIM Well-Known Member

Does bypassing the micro switch on the clutch lever effect anything other than allowing the bike to start without the clutch pulled in. I notice on my TLR that the idle will rise a little when the clutch is engaged. So does that switch have effect on the ECU also?

thanks,]
    scott

2. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

The easiest answer w/o purjuring myself is:
    On a lot of Suzuki's: yes it effects more and should be left there.

3. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

It has squat impact on performance, toss it in the dumper.

4. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

Your engine changes because you are fooling with the clutch.

Also if you leave it on there there is a chance that the engine could die if its sidestand switch somehow got un-jumpered or otherwise tells the 'puter that the sidestand is deployed.

Just one less thing to go wrong...

5. SLIM

SLIM Well-Known Member

Thanks for the responses. Got a pair of wire dykes in hand and on my way to the garage.

Scott

6. Huey130

Sorry Frank. Don't say I didn't told you so...

7. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

Why would it affect anything in the ECU?
    Its just part of Suzukis micky mouse safety cut out system?

Anyway, DON'T cut the switch off. just unplug it and put a piece of wire between the two, tape it off and tuck it back into the wiring harness.
    You, or a future owner will be glad when the bike returns to street duty, or you want to sell an *intact* wiring harness...

8. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

huey, do not worry, if it is a Suzuki he probally will not notice missing RPM

9. Knarf Legna

You didn't tell me anything, I posted after you. I assume that you're being purposely coy for some reason. Why don't you just say what you have to say if you in fact have something to say instead of just acting like a smug ass? Can't believe I'm taking shit from a guy who buys his motor parts at AutoZone and then oils down the track. :rolleyes: :Poke:

SLIM, if you don't have a TEKA or other mapper you don't want to just cut off the safety switch, because the ECU detects the use of the switch and modifies the mapping. That's the change in RPM that you're hearing when you pull in the clutch. The mapping change is more important when the engine is cold, less important when it is warm. You can test that out yourself at different operating temps and notice the difference.

To disable the switch without having the ECU change mapping you need to bypass the circuit after the ECU but before the kick stand. If you trace the two wires coming out of the switch you'll find one going to ground, the other going the the ECU and then moves on to the kick stand. You can safely cut and ground the yellow/black wire after the ECU to disable the need to pull the clutch to start the bike, effectively disabling the starter relay. If you know what you're doing with a mapping box you can remove the switch altogether, but it's more work. If done properly either of these procedures works 100% without impacting performance, I have used them both on TLR's and GSX-R's. Just don't forget you've disabled it when you hit the starter button in gear. ;)

10. Huey130

Just checking... Removing it does or does not effect performance. I know I'm some smug ass but you've said both in this post now me and my auto-zone buddies are confused.

And just for the record if you think that's taking shit you've obviously never taken it in your life.

The I told you so part was you had the guy headingto the garage with a pair of dykes and now you tell him not to cut it off...

Last edited: Jul 22, 2004
  11. Huey130

Nor the missing power from being in an open loop mode for engine start... But whatta I know?
    And no worries, I hardly ever worry. Cheers.

12. Knarf Legna

You want to get into a battle of semantics pick another partner. I didn't tell the guy to take dykes to the switch. I told him he could remove it without impacting performance, which he can. And I explained how he can do that. And I also told him how he can leave it in place and disable it. So what the hell is your point?

AFA losing power, I have a GSX-R 600 here with a disabled switch which I'll put up against anything you can provide for a dyno run. Wanna put your money where your mouth is?

You are a real headcase at times. I know that in your own mind you're a master tuner, but some people believe otherwise. No hard feelings though. :)

13. Huey130

Woooo a THROW DOWN! For my dyno runn I'll provide my 49cc Moskito scooter! No wait. For my run I'll use your bike and I'll enable the switch.

Semantics schemantics. You told him it didn't effect performance. Then you told him it did (which it does). That's my point. Pretty simple.

Now where do you get in your mind I think I'm a master tuner? Wheeeerrrree did I ever say that? Or imply? Or infer? I mean it's nice you keep up with me and know so much and all... I apologize in advance for knowing nothing about you except that you like guitars and are good with computers... and can obviously do a lot of research after the fact.

Nope no hard feelings. For you no feelings at all. Well you do make me giggle a little.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2004
  14. Huey130

Dammit. Made it all the way to bed and had to come back:

For the above post I apologize. That was the old Huey. Screwing just to screw with.

The new Huey says: Ok Frank, whatever you say / said. Whatever you (and "the others" think) is cool with me. Cheers and yup no hard feelings nor any stick pokey or frowny people.

15. Knarf Legna

Since you're panties are already a mile up your tight ass I'll play along and do some nitpicking myself. :D The proper usage would be "affect", not "effect". Any respectible wrench or guitar player knows at least that much. So which is it, effect or affect?

Research after the fact? WTF are you talking about? Got something you really want to say or are you just being smug again and giggling your tight ass off down there this evening? :confused:

You're on on the dyno run, just promise you won't be messin' with any PCV valves or anything. Enabling the switch won't make a bit of difference. I bet they don't tell you how to do that at AutoZone. ;) :Poke:

Smiles. :D :D :D

16. Knarf Legna

Crap. Thought we could go on for a few pages with this. Kinda rare in Tech, you know. :( :p

17. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

C'mon kids I am bored. Huey just pm'd me and said Frank is an ass. Frank pm'd and said he wouldn't let Huey work on his little red wagon.

That's all lies of course, but wouldn't it be fun to get a 10 pager out of the tech section?:D

18. Knarf Legna

I think he's done playing. I even tried to throw him some bait by the misspelling of respectable but he didn't bite, so I know he's done with this. :D I was hoping for something like that April Fools day thread he had with Mongo, but it ain't gonna happen.

19. Huey130

So slim, did you cut it off, cut it off then put it back on, leave it or short and then tape it up?

20. SLIM

SLIM Well-Known Member

After all of this I'm not sure what to do.
    But I must say it's been pretty entertaining.

scott