1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clutch Basket???

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Jack Brock, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Jack Brock

Jack Brock Well-Known Member

I've got an 04 R6, and the fingers on the clutch basket have minor indentions from the plates hitting them. This is causing some binding and the bike wants to creep at times with the clutch in and it is difficult to find neutral. I realize the thing that makes the most sense it to replace the clutch basket, but the budget is extremely tight right now. Has anyone had any success filing the fingers smooth? Any cons to this other than possibly weakening the fingers?

Thanks for all replys

2. cmra484

cmra484 Well-Known Member

hey jack it's john here. I think the 2 stroke guys do that a lot, as a bandaid between replcement. It will help a little with smoother engagement I believe, but I assume it puts a little slop between hub and basket, though I don't know if you would ever feel that at speed. I'm sure it must weaken it as well, but probably not issue unless you go crazy with the file.

3. Jack Brock

Hey John
    Are you going to the trackday next saturday? I should be there and plan on racing on sunday.

4. cmra484

cmra484 Well-Known Member

yeah I'll be there on sat but won't be racing sun (poverty). Prolly come out and watch though. I watched last weeks cmra at hallett and depressing knowing I might have won, or done well, some novice races. I have feeling I could do OK next week too but again with the poverty.
    FYI it is gonna be smoking hot I'm bringing a bucket to dunk my head in.
    you better file that basket or you won't get good start and I know we both pride ourselves!

5. Handicapped Racer

Handicapped Racer Well-Known Member

have you made sure you have no warped plates

6. Jack Brock

The plates are slightly warped as well, and I have new friction plates and steels coming. Will warped plates cause similar issues?

7. Don Nees

Don Nees Well-Known Member

Absolutely, clutch baskets are expennnnnnnsive!

1. Check the play on your clutch lever.

2.Cable may be binding due to frayed strands ,.... may not be releasing the plates completely.. Disconnect the cable at both ends and make sure that it moves freely from end to end. If not, either lubricate or replace.

3. Warped plates can cause drag, thus causing the creeping and difficulty in finding neutral.

Keep in mind, even when properly adjusted the clutch plates have very little clearance when disengaged, so if the cable/lever are out of adjustment, or the plates are warped, they are still dragging which causes heat due to friction drag which causes expansion of the plates which makes the problem worse.

None of the above rules out the clutch basket, but is meant to give you some reasonable alternatives to filing/replacing the basket.

Hope this helps, let us know,
    Don