1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cleaning Leathers

Discussion in 'General' started by Putter, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

I have wanted to ask this board for a long time. What's the best way to clean a suit? I have tried and heard a lot of things, just want some opinions. Not just normal cleaning, but all the dirt and grass stains I got after my last crash.

Thanks.

2. We've always found that wearing the suit in the shower, with a suitable partner wielding a scrub brush, is the best way. Afterwards allow to air-dry thoroughly, then apply leather lotion.

3. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

4. Putter

Thanks guys.

5. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

OK . here are the instructions and warnings again for cleaning leathers.. most leather suits can be cleaned n a heavy duty washing machine. hey it's just dead skin isn't it? what do you wash your skin with ? soap and water. strip the armor and removable padding out of the suit. in some suits this requires opening a seam in the lining if an access opening is not provided. turn the suit inside out while it is washing. after the spin cycle lay the suit on a flat surface . don't hang it up for it will stretch a mile. as the suit starts drying out start turning it inside out. usually once or twice a day and before it is dry start applying a leather conditioner. any lanolin based hand lotion will work fine for this. don't get caught using your wife/girlfriend's expensive imported brand on your suit. she will know where it's gone from the smell and you will pay dearly afterwards. just get the cheap generic kind from wal-mart . figure this cleaning process taking a least a week. don't get rushed and put the suit up before it is totally dry and keep the suit stored where it can get good air flow to prevent mildew and mold ( very bad) be forewarned that some suits with red and white combinations can bleed . do a test sample on these first. they require hand cleaning. we offer a cleaning surface for 50.00 and Darethea earns her money doing it but it is nothing most individuals can't do. no smoke and mirrors or voodoo rituals required for this. all suits need cleaning at least once a year if nothing else than to remove the sweat salts from the leather . it's a real leather killer so get it out of there. that's about all for the cleaning process. hope it helps. the best to all . everything is moving along here just fine. still mowing the grass evfry week, repairing and making the suits and dog wrangling daily. Booger and I take a run to the river in his sidehack about everyother day or so. he is trying to talk me into bring him to the gnf this year . he is going on 9 now and won't have too many more oportunities. I will just have to find somebody to pilot his hack for him if i am too busy working . good wked to all. Barnacle Bill and Darethea

ToofPic likes this.
  6. barnacle bill

service not surface , sorry for the misprint

ditto. and what about that lance armstrong !

7. Putter

Bill I need some stitches sewn up and some lettering done. Are you real busy right now? If not I will PM ya the details and send them to ya.

8. barnacle bill

we 're working

everyday but not pulling the 14 hour shifts like we were back in the spring./ figure a week or so on repairs. cleaning takes at least a week to 10 days on most suits depending on the brand and construction. just give me a call 859 336 7375 I'm in and out on the wkeds mowing and fixing fence, etc. be glad to stitch it up for you. have a good wked. Bill

9. Putter

Thanks Bill! I won't bother ya on the weekend. I will give you a call on Monday for shipping instructions.

Thanks again,

Erik

10. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

Bill you are he every loving, mother freaking man!

Cheers.

11. Putter

He'll get my pennies.

12. Send them to Bill. Mine looked, and more importantly smelled brand new. Best deal out there by far, him and D are great people as well.

13. Z-man

Z-man Resident Instigator

Do you put the lotion on the outside of the leathers, the inside of the leathers or both? I'm getting ready to give this a shot.

14. barnacle bill

conditioning

after cleaning and before they are completely dry start applying the lotion to the outside of the leathers. 2 -3 applications should be sufficient . be sure to lay they on a flat surface while they are drying. they'll stretch if you hang them up wet . if they are really really smelly and dirty pre-treat them with a little detergent and scrub any stains with a light brushing. it especially helps to do that on that red georgia clay . then again you can just send it in to us to do. cleaning and conditioning is still 75.00 . this is NOT dry cleaning which could cause thread damage in some suits. darethea and I are here working everyday. the best to all b bill and darethea

15. barnacle bill

perspective

man I just realized this thread is over 3 almost 4 years old? where has the time gone. I have been a granddpa over 3 years now. Booger has turned 12 and still rides the sidehack but has a pretty arthritic leg but no other dogs in the neighborhood mess with him. the new sr track tires still aren't on the rims yet either. man I got to get out more often. work comes in and work goes out and I lost an hour of sleep last night too. damn you ben franklin ! just kidding. I liked the guy. yes I am that old. the best to all! b bill and darethea !

16. Z-man

Z-man Resident Instigator

Don't think it doesn't go appreciated, thank you for always fixing me up and getting me back on the track.

David Z