1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cleaning Foam Air Filters

Discussion in 'Tech' started by splyn, Feb 15, 2005.

1. splyn

splyn Well-Known Member

My filter foam air filter is looking a bit grungy and i started looking into how to clean it.

Is there any special cleaner i should use? (i got a bit confused as most cleaners specify cotton filters, but mine is foam)

Is there any special oil i should use?

any help is appreciated.

2. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I use gasoline to clean them and BelRay foam air filter oil afterward.

3. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

For an R6, you can just use some kind of degreaser/de-oiler, and the use some motor oil to oil it... squeeze out the excess though. ;)

I use dawn dish washer soap.. works great.

*Btw, this is in the owners manual and the tech manual.

4. rickj

rickj Well-Known Member

Use mineral spirits to clean (if it’s a glued together filter like some dirt bikes gasoline will melt the glue). I use Belray foam filter oil-its much tackier than engine oil. I wonder what the difference in airflow is?

5. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

PJ1 makes a foam air filter cleaner that works well and doesn't attack the filter. Spray it on, let it sit 10 or 15 minutes and wash off with water.

6. splyn

splyn Well-Known Member

Thanx for the help.

7. stabber

stabber Well-Known Member

On my 03 r6 I used dish detergent and a water hose to clean it. I made sure to force the water from the clean side of the filter so I didnt force and dirt farther into the filter. Then I coated the filter with mobil 1 but next time I will get some filter specific oil:)

8. Shawn A.

Shawn A. Well-Known Member

gojo hand cleaner works good cleaning the foam filter in my lawn mower.