1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cleaning and deglazing rotors

Discussion in 'Tech' started by borislav, Mar 1, 2011.

1. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

I'm changing pads and would like to clean and deglaze the rotors.
    What is the best way to do this? Did anybody sandblast braking surface with fine media to accomplish this?Is sandblasting recomended?

2. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

I've always beadblasted mine at work with great results. Just have to be cautious.

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Beadblasting is the best thing......you could also use a rotor hone

[​IMG]

but in reality a bit of emory cloth works just fine and is the cheapest route.

4. MYZ1K

MYZ1K Well-Known Member

+1

5. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Stock rotors are pretty hard, anytime i change my pads i scuff them with a die grinder, works well to get the old pad material off and the new stuff down. Just be aware the brakes wont bite very well right away, takes a bit of break in.

6. The Villain

The Villain Evil Registered user

+2. I've even managed with fine-grit sandpaper when necessary. Simply proceed with care...all you need to do is remove the old transfer layer so a new one can be laid down.

I've found Stoptech's bed-in procedure to work well on two wheels as well as four.

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Oh, and be sure to thoroughly spray and wipe down the swept area of the rotor with brake cleaner and a rag to remove all sanding grit before you get to work bedding in the new pads.

8. KBacon

KBacon Well-Known Member

are the 3M style "cookies" on an electric die grinder recommended???

9. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

The maroon ones? They would work fine, dont stay in one spot too long. Like i said the material the rotor is made out of is pretty hard and not "easy" to grind away and foul the rotor up.

I acutally had bad pulsations on my zx6r and just thought i'd try this and it made the braking like new again.

10. mpp12

mpp12 Well-Known Member

I tried lots of things and only a rotor hone does it nice...
    ebay it cost like 40USD

11. Teh_K

Teh_K Member

Question: How do you guys handle bedding multiple sets of rotors to the same pads (like when switching from normal tires to rains)? Does the pad surface adapt to each set of rotor since they (the rotors) are bound to be slightly different? Is this even a concern, or do you guys just throw a different set of rims/rotors on and say eff it?

12. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

Plumbers tape from home depot in lieu of all these. Its like a roll of screen with an oxide abrasive. Its used to clean the ends of pipes before they're soldered together.

13. The Villain

The Villain Evil Registered user

^ I like that ingenuity.

I've never had to deal with this particular issue, but if it were to come up I'd either swap rotors to the other wheels, or else keep a separate set of brake pads for the second set of rotors.

If you can't do either of these in a pinch it shouldn't quite be the end of the world (which I am working on, by the way). A new boundary layer will build up over the old one...but you're likely to get vibration, hot spots, and just generally less than ideal stopping power.

14. Dug2

Dug2 Well-Known Member

its called emery cloth. no such thing as plumbers "tape".
    guess how i know this? as far as yer theory, you are spot
    on. this works great, i just figured i'd correct the terminology.
    no offence intended sir.:beer:

15. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Most places seem to call what he is talking about "Mesh Emory Cloth" or "FRP Mesh Emory Cloth".

Just in case somebody goes looking for it. If you ask for emory cloth most will just give you the solid emory cloth (which works but not as well IMO)

16. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

die grinder and a 3m brown cookie end

17. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

A couple of applicaions of the brake and you're good to go. I've had occasion to switch wheels half a dozen times over a weekend and never had a problem. (rains off and on, old tires in practice, new ones in a race, new tires on endurance bike during a race etc. etc.)