1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chipmunks...and other critters.

Discussion in 'General' started by fastfreddie, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Ya that bird is waiting for you to die :)

SpeedyE likes this.
  2. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

I'm starving him to death first! :Putter:

beac83 likes this.
  3. SpeedyE

A BEAR?!?!?!?!? By your House!!!!!!
    I Cannot get over this picture/etc.
    Can you toss food to it and it eats it?????
    How close can you get?
    I would feed it everyday until I was able to pet it, then hug it, then ride it like horse!
    I LOVE That Bear,...... You are Very Fortunate! <3 I have Never seen/touched/petted a bear in real life :(

BigBird likes this.
  4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I had a bear raid a near empty cooler in my garage where I service my bikes, hang out at night, overhead door(s) wide open, chillin', etc. The only items in the cooler were half a dozen product-wrapped health snacks. The bear's lucky I gave it the benefit of the doubt and didn't blow its brains all over the driveway. I chased it while armed. Dumbass ran up a tree. I'm not heartless and intending to shoot fish in a barrel.
    Sorry, tho'. Some animals don't need to be that close. Bears are stealthy as hell. I'm not giving the next one a second thought. Remorsefully, I'll blast Yogi, Boo-Boo and any other apex predator that doesn't turn and run when I go to chase it off my property and I'm not done chasing 'til it's off the property. Dumb-Dumb climbed a second tree on my property before I left him alone...and I spent the next couple weeks armed and looking over my shoulder. Fuck that. Next time, Boo-Boo go bye-bye.

5. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I don't know about the laws where you live but in NH you want to be real careful about shooting bears out of season.

ToofPic and SpeedyE like this.
  6. SpeedyE

I would give ANYTHING to have a bear in my yard! I leave the doors open put food on counter, and pay $ to get him to come inside house and wander around, knocking shit over and raiding cabinets....That would be the Apex of my Life's Journey! :beer::clap::flag:

ToofPic likes this.
  7. SpeedyE

EDIT 12:30/Midnite....
    The small mouse I started feeding a few weeks ago, just ran past me headed for his 'home' behind the vertical garage-door wood/board.....now it's the size of a small RAT :eek::confused::eek:o_O !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No BS!
    WTF!?!?!?!?!?

No good deed goes unpunished :dead:

I need to re-evaluate this deal.:Poke:

8. fastfreddie

I called Fish-n-Feathers. They couldn't be bothered, even tho' neighbors have lost family pets to bear in the past. In my case, it coulda been me or my wife, or neighbors strolling with their dogs.
    I couldn't care less about any legalities they might try to impose.
    My life vs some arbitrary rule? GTFO.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    Sabre699 likes this.
  9. SpeedyE

Dude, I got a teenage rat in my house, and I been feeding it dog & bird food....:eek::confused:

10. fastfreddie

I can relate, but it's not a bear skulking into your garage.
    Did you name it Ben or Willard? :D

SpeedyE likes this.
  11. SpeedyE

:crackup::bow::clap:

:flag:

12. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Not necessarily. At this time of year, they're signaling that they're looking for some warm place to put their peckers in....

13. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

Black bears are WAY more scared of us than they need to be, no need to blast them to get them off some property. I've even inadvertently jumped between 3 good sized yearlings and a mama bear, and she took off running out of the yard when I startled them. Did have a momentary pause with that incident though!

Still have a number of chipmunks in my area, lots of turkey, rabbits, wood peckers, hawks, black bears fairly frequently (weekly during the Fall), occasionally see a fox. I've never seen one locally, but neighbor cams have caught bobcat in the area. Another neighbor, with a rehab license, even just found a baby flying squirrel in their yard. Amazed at how tame and playful it is!

SpeedyE likes this.
  14. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

It just wandered through the front yard a couple of years ago. I'd always wanted to see a bear in the wild but less than twenty feet from my front window was a bit close.

SpeedyE likes this.
  15. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

My Aunt has Turkey Vulture's land on her roof pretty regularly.I send her pics from next door at my mom's house and it pisses her off that they pick her house to rest.
    Shooting any birds of prey,and any woodpeckers is a stiff fine.
    I've removed one baby groundhog from the garage,and that was one mean little bastard! They grit their teeth,and it's pretty creepy!
    The rabbits and chipmunk population will fluxuate depends on the predators.
    For year's I never saw rabbits,then they were everywhere.Now it's kinda stabilized.
    Coyotes are the biggest problem,not native,and very abundant.If you got em,choot-em!!

16. fastfreddie

Maybe so, I'm not betting on a night-time encounter in my "woods" being a friendly get together. I wouldn't be blasting them to get them off the property, I'd be blasting so they never return.

17. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

In order of destructive properties:
    Deer
    ground hogs
    mice
    chipmunks

I wish coyotes only ate deer, problem is they seem to go what's easy.
    No problems with bears
    I wish I had a black snake living in my rock walls.

18. SpeedyE

<3

19. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I've never heard of a black bear attacking a person.
    They can be very destructive but they're not particularly dangerous.

ToofPic and SpeedyE like this.
  20. fastfreddie

It happens. About half are attributed to dogs as the the dog runs to its owner for protection from the bear it encountered. The bear gives chase and, before you know it, you're face to face with an apex predator in kill mode. Maybe one in a million black bears attacks a sole human out of predation.
    Nevertheless, one human death/year is attributed to black bears. I'm statistically insignificant and intend to stay that way.