1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chilltrix

Discussion in 'General' started by nd4spd, Mar 11, 2020.

1. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

https://www.chiltrix.com/

Anyone have experience with this particular mini-split system?

Ups/downs vs Mitsubishi or Daikin?

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

3. Eight Screws

Eight Screws Well-Known Member

It’s a much different system to a “normal” Mini Split in that it uses water not refrigerant to cool/heat the house

If you are looking for that type of system Multi Aqua make one and there are several other air to water heat pumps on the market

The Chilltrix is manufactured in China and brought in by them

nd4spd likes this.
  4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

The link I posted is a couple years old, but unless there has been a huge increase in sales, they didn't have much market share. It might be tough to get reviews from someone that owns one.

5. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Mom's system is on its last legs. The company she uses for maintenance priced a Daikin system, but I don't know anything about them.

How highly rated is Daikin?

6. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

I've seen that link, was hoping for some additional experience.

I've heard of Multi Aqua but every time I've looked at them the price was quite high. One of the reasons I started looking at Chilltrix is that it sounds quite cost effective in comparison. The DIY aspect of the Chilltrix is also attractive.

A few folks have told me that Daikin is well known elsewhere in the world and is regarded as the gold standard but I don't know anyone that's actually bought one. I'm starting to hear the name more and more so it sounds to be catching on.

7. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

Daikin is a top level, grade A mfg for commercial split systems and ductless splits, as well as VRF. Mitsubishi is also very highly rated, for equipment quality.

if this is a "residential" style split, then Daikin product is being manufactured by Goodman USA, and... i wouldnt buy one.

one caveat to any HVAC system- quality installation is absolutely key. get some recommendations from friends, homeowners etc in the community who have had good experiences, more than a year or two old.

nd4spd likes this.
  8. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

One HVAC guy I spoke to recently said that Mitsubishi is warrantying their systems for up to 10 years now through certain installers.

9. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Thank god it is an air conditioning system... I was concerned that it was a new buzzword like "Chillax"... A cross between "Chill" and "Matrix" perhaps. Sounds like something Neo would say...:D

10. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Is size the determining factor in your recommendation? Her quote was for a 5 ton system.

11. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

5 tons is about the max for residential, before they split into multiple units, but no size is not the only determining factor. I need @JBraun to chime in here, I'm a commercial only HVAC/plbg contractor, so the residential info I have is limited to side jobs I do for cash.

12. Eight Screws

Well Daikin paid about a Billion $ to acquire Goodman a few years ago so they could reclaim the largest HVAC manufacturer in the world tag

socalrider likes this.
  13. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Are Fedders and Trane even in the residential game now?

14. Eight Screws

Fedders has been gone for a while
    Trane is still rolling along, partnered up with Mitsubishi now

socalrider likes this.
  15. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

I had a Daikin system installed 2 years ago after my Trane stuff died.

Price was right, It keeps the house cold/hot as expected and my usage dropped from the old worn out system. I don't recall the waranty information but my installer included a 3 year service plan (2X year) with the deal and to date his techs have found no issues

16. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

I got a 13 yr warranty on my Mitsubishi mini-split through a Home Depot contractor.

17. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

With or without a required maintenance subscription?

18. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

Without. Was a 'Diamond Contractor'

19. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Nice. To me anyway, that tells me they really are building service life into the units, presuming install is all square.