1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chicago Peeps and other North Central types

Discussion in 'General' started by coiz, May 1, 2005.

1. coiz

coiz Well-Known Member

My company is moving me from Memphis to Chicago in a few weeks and I wanted to get some opinions on where to live.

I've heard the cost of living adjustment is going to be a bitch. :(

I've never been there but I think I am going to be looking for a house away from downtown. Our office is in Downers Grove but I only have to go there a few times a month so I will be looking to be around there or up to 75-90 minutes away.

So what's your take on Chicago, am I going to like it or not? For reference, I grew up in Denver and loved it. Spent three years in Detroit and was not sad to leave. I've been in Memphis for six years and like it a lot. The only northern tracks I have ridden have been Putnam and Grattan. Otherwise it has been all Mid-Central stuff. I am going to miss Barber :( Opinions please........

Last edited: May 1, 2005
  2. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

That's Du Page county {Downers Grove}. You should look for some place near there. Cook County taxes are higher. Just depends on what you are looking for. Naperville is nice also, but that's further west.

3. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

i think you'll find chicago to be similar to detroit.

other tracks...road america, gingerman, blackhawk, autobahn (well...now it sounds like it is only a driveway paved through someone's field....but it will soon be a track....)

4. Team Serpent

Team Serpent Jason Temme #86 WERA Lifetime Member

Re: Re: Chicago Peeps and other North Central types

What?! Chicago is NOT like Detriot!

coiz,

Chicago is an awsome city, you're going to love it.

My Mom (Century 21 Temme & Temme, and one of my sponsors :) ) could help you on the house end and I'd be happy to help with the lay of the land - different neighborhoods, places to go and things to do around the various suburbs and downtown area, culture, ect.

Plenty of tracks within a few hours drive.

Just shoot me an email at [email protected] and I'll forward you contact info.

Anyone who I've had visit Chicago has always said they had a great time, they were never intimidated, the food and entertainment is awsome, people were great and they can't wait to come back.

5. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

Re: Re: Re: Chicago Peeps and other North Central types

i agree that chicago is a better city to visit than detriot....more culture...more stuff to do....more interesting.....

but it has that same feel as detroit....cold and hard.

6. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

Stuffed Pizza, Italian Beefs and Sausage sandwiches.....God I miss living there. A few things to keep in mind though, living in the city is expensive. Parking sucks, and most places have detached garages if they have one at all. Most parking towards downtown in street parking.

If your going to live in the city, definately look up in the Old Town, Lincoln Park area. I liked Wrigleyville, just be aware that there is a large population of happy people there. Some good places along Milwaukee Ave also. Good polish bars. Lot's of Vodka. Tons of small Blues/Jazz bars all over the place. My favorite was a late night bar called The Underground Wonder Bar. Small basement bar open till 5am. You had to walk through the stage as the band played to go to the bathroom. Alot of performers from other clubs would go there and play after work.

If your looking for practical and cheaper, look towards Kane, McHenry counties. West and north of Elgin. Kinda between farmland and the burbs. Even from there, your only 30 miles from downtown.

And never, ever...........Miss the Taste of Chicago or the Bluesfest. Go Blackhawks!!

7. coiz

coiz Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I have been told to live in Naperville by a few different people. By looking at an atlas, I don't think I can really grasp how big metro Chicago really is. All I hear about is the traffic. :mad:

What is the average monthly utility bill(s) for the summer and winter months for a 3-4 bdrm house? Thanks.

8. AL GOODWIN

AL GOODWIN Well-Known Member

Did you say...TRAFFIC!!!!!

I drove a truck for a living, omly about 6 months. I learned to HATE Chicago.

The tolls to go around the loop cost me about $14 every time.:mad:

And everybody seems to be running late.:rolleyes:

9. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

The first thing you will need to buy is an I-PASS:rolleyes:
    Fucking Assholes! The Illinois Tollway Authority. They doubled the tolls last winter for anyone not having one. Yes if you work in the city, you will learn to hate it very quickly. You will be towed before you can get out of your car if you park illegally. I worked as a courier there for 5 years:down: :Puke:
    But if you are just visiting the city, pay for parking, and enjoy:up: :beer:

10. Team Serpent

Cold and Hard? Maybe in the winter but I couldn't disagree more with your comparison to Detroit.

Yes the traffic can be a bitch sometimes, but the commute from Naperville to Downers Grove won't be part of the city traffic mix.

I-Pass is definitely the way to go. Gary's right the Illinois Toll way Authority didn't make any friends with their last increase, I actually couldn't believe they got way with doubling the tolls without more back lash from the community.

11. Boots

Boots Well-Known Member

Bro whats goin on? :down:
    I thought I was the 1 who was goin back up north :moon:

12. G2G

G2G I feel the need

If it wasn't for the crappy winters it would be one of the best places in the country to live. We have everything here in the city. I grew up in the SW burbs but live and work in the city. Downers grove is easy to get to so you will be fine living anywhere within 40 miles. Best thing to do is take the offer on Temme's commections on real estate they can give you the 411 on the good places to look into. I love the city and the burbs, you will never run out of things to do.

Detroit is a hell hole compared to Chicago so don't sweat it. You gave 5 tracks with in a 3 hour drive if you add another hout you could have 7 possibly 8 if you drive fast. :D PM any one of local guys if you need any info we would be happy to help you out :up: :beer: .

13. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

maybe i'm off base.....

i have not lived in either....i just visit and do business in both quite frequently....

14. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

If your single......live in the city. Nothing like drunk ex-sorority girls. Gary can even get laid. I can give some scoops on finding a cheap apartment.

Buy a house close to work, Houses are 275k-350k.

15. Steve Karson

Steve Karson Tcasby is my Bitch !!

I can't believe I am going to agree with TA, but he is right, if you are single, live in the city, downtown or just north of downtown, ton's of people and ton's of culture, all within a bus,train or cab ride away, no driving drunk needed!.
    Naperville is a great place to raise a family, but it is too fucking far from everything else ( Except your work) . Your budget may dictate where you go also, there is a wide range of housing prices. I am a few miles north of downtown, existing houses are around 300k to 500k, new house are 800k to 1 mil. rents are around 750 to 1500 depending on the size of apt. If you want to enjoy what chicago has to offer, live in the city.

16. chilly

chilly Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Chicago Peeps and other North Central types

come on you guys are too harsh on Detroit there is plenty of culture and things to do

you just need a armored car and bullet proof vest to enjoy them:rolleyes:

17. Team Serpent

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Chicago Peeps and other North Central types

I was trying to find a tactful way of saying it but you did a better job than I could've.

18. coiz

coiz Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input guys. I think I am more of a suburb than a city guy. Definately buying a house as I have way too much stuff for an apartment. Plus I want an investment.

I will be covering most of northern Chicago up into the southern part of Wisconsin. Of course, my market area can change with the roll of a dice. So as of right now, it looks like I may want to live in the northern area for ease of daily travel to and from my dealers. Ie. Elgin, McHenry, Gurnee and anywhere in between. I've been told it would be smart to buy a new house, as compared to a used one, as an investment and have also been recommended Plainfield, Sugar Grove and Elburn. Any input on the mentioned northern and southwestern areas?

I guess I need to get up there, drive around, see the area and figure out where I want to be.

Can anyone answer my question about the average monthly utilties for a 3-4 bdrm house? :confused:

19. G2G

G2G I feel the need

$200 - $260 a month for gas and electric. I don't use a home telephone $100 for cable tv and highspeed internet. Trash pick up varies and water cost are different in all the burbs weather or not you have city water or not. Hope this helps.

20. Strickette

Strickette Katy, TX

We moved to the Chicago area from Atlanta in October of last year. I work in Naperville & we live in Dekalb - near NIU. Its a bit of hike to get to work (35 miles each way), but its worth it to have a larger lot & house for the money. No traffic on 88 west of Aurora.

Lots of people in my office live in Plainfield, Elburn, Sugar Grove, etc. All are nice areas, Plainfield being more affordable than Elburn or Sugar Grove. The further west you go, the more house (and land) you get for your money.

I spent weeks looking at houses in Plainfield, Naperville, etc. Nice places, but no yards, and certainly no place to park a racing trailer. I spent 5 minutes in Dekalb & knew it was the right place for us.

Good luck!!