1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Checking a frame question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by RRP, Jun 3, 2016.

1. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Ive searched and had no luck. Here 's the question:

Can a bare frame be checked for square/straightness or does a place like GMD require an assembled chassis?

Thanks
    Mark

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Pretty sure they disassemble it a bit to check it anyway so you should be able to.

3. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

They can check a bare frame, or a partially stripped (no bodywork, possibly no exhaust, need to have line of sight to the swingarm pivots, etc) machine IIRC.

EDIT - See my response below, I was wrong.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  4. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

This is literally a bare frame - no forks, swing arm, wheels, motor, nada.

Follow up question. Who does this in the midwest? Southern Illinois near STL?

5. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

blah blah guessing blah, ya know what, lemmie stop doing that and just ask GMD. :D

6. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

So, got clarification from GMD - Bike needs to be a roller. It needs a swingarm, something for forks, and wheels. The forks don't have to be the right ones, they can be bent, but they've got to be tight in the stem bearings so they can be used as part of the process. The wheels should be reasonably straight as well, swingarm can be a pretzel. If you're going to have it straightened, most frames need the motor mounted for that portion of the work.

7. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Thanks a ton! I appreciate the effort on this and the information.:D

Is there a midwest vendor you could recommend?

8. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Not a clue, I haven't wandered out of New England much. :D

9. raven21

raven21 Well-Known Member

Eric at velocity calibrations has one. He is located in stl.

sdiver likes this.
  10. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Might call MD Racing and talk to him. He has a frame measuring service available. He's in Moline, Il 309-517-1361

11. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Thanks for the info.