1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheapest way to ship tires?

Discussion in 'General' started by regularguy, Oct 26, 2010.

1. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Fedex, UPS, USPS, boxed up or taped together, or shipped separately?

2. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

UPS. A set usually runs $15-20 to ship. I sold a guy 3 sets last year and it would have been cheaper to actually bundle 3 tires together. I just use the shipping tape with the thread or whatever in it so it doesn't rip, then box tape the label on

3. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I'm buying a set and the seller boxed up 2 rears together and UPS wants $55 from TX to NC.

4. 303 Cycle

303 Cycle Well-Known Member

We only box up tires. I reason is that Fed Ex and UPS will add a "odd handling charge" another is we don't want tires damaged during shipment.

Tires are $18-$25 to ship in a 24x24x12 box that weights 24 lbs. Don't forget Fed Ex and UPS charge dimensional weight as well.

That does seem rather high IMHO

5. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Take them out of the box, and make sure he's going to the actual UPS depot, and not a UPS Store. The UPS store will F you bad.

6. mountain lion

mountain lion Well-Known Member

Might be b/c of box size that's making it more. I've shipped front and rear taped together across the country for 27$ w/ fedex. They complain now if there's no box, but still take it.

7. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

Shipping costs have went up quite a bit. I was shipping tires for around $25 last year, shipped out two rears about a month ago and it cost me $38.

I always just tape them together, never bothered with a box.

8. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

I tape two tires together and usually ship them for $25 a pair. I use FedEx and print the labels at home - saves about 20%.

9. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

I ship 2 tires taped together, through UPS for $14.

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

FedEx Ground/Home. They don't charge a fee for shipping without a box, while small brown aka UPS does. I shipped tires/rims, both car and bike, and FedEx is usually cheaper and better than UPS.

And I usually just tape them together and place the label directly on the tires.

11. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

:stupid:

12. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

Fedex has been cheaper than UPS for me. As previous guys have said, tape them together and ship as a set since that is cheaper than shipping individually.

Fedex does have the option of hitting you with an additional charge for "non-std packing" or something. It is like an additional $10. The Kinkos/Fedex ladies always hits me up with it. So I now print my shipping labels at home and prepay and then just drop off at Office Max. It has worked so far.

I miss DHL.

13. Daniel06

Daniel06 Well-Known Member

Last set I shipped at the ups depot not the ups store was $20 from AL to Washington DC. Just taped them together. That was a front and rear. I shipped 2 fronts and a rear bfore from the ups store, and it was $54. The ups store will f' you.

14. joec

joec brace yourself

make sure the label is on well. a friend whos been to the ups "lost and found" warehouse auction told me ups claims tires are one the most lost items they see. because they get shipped unboxed, and the labels come off. apparently the have an entire section of warehouse dedicated to lost tires.

15. Daniel06

Daniel06 Well-Known Member

Hmmmm. Where is this secret lair of free takeoffs?

16. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I zip-tie them together then wrap them in shrink wrap. About $24 through USPS.

17. Mxer485

Mxer485 Well-Known Member

The best way that I have ever shipped tires is wrapping the tire or tires together in plastic wrap my dad gets the big industrial rolls from his work but i have used the house stuff that you would use to cover you food also with no probs. Stuff works great doesn't add a lot of weight to the tires or anymore size to them and holds them together very well. I have found that USPS has the best prices on shipping. They don't charge any of those extra fees that UPS/FEDEX does for being over sized or odd shaped whatever it is that they are trying to get you for. They just charge by the weight and on how far your shipping of course it usually cost my between 8-12 per tire so its pretty reasonable and cheaper the UPS/FEDEX.

18. jd41

jd41 Well-Known Member

Necro thread revive. What's the cheapest way to ship nowadays?

19. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

@SpeedyTide

20. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I can tell you that everyone measures and weighs, these days. And, USPS contracts out to UPS, because the last thing I shipped made that switch and the changeover added four days to shipping time, while sitting at a transfer point in Massachusetts.

Shenanigans likes this.