1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap-o Camera for the Track

Discussion in 'General' started by Vstate60, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Vstate60

Vstate60 Jaspon&Armas, PA

So I've searched abroad (well, the beeb)...and would like an updated thread on suggestions for cheap cameras to be used for racing/track riding. I'm taking GoPro out of the sitch here. I believe the cheapest one they have is $299, and I'm looking for info from users of the Contour types...$150ish.

Looking at the myriad of reviews on this one and would like to know what I should be looking for. Is 30FPS enough? If I'm just looking to review my lines and such at the track after the weekend is over, do I truly need 1080p? Yeah, it looks great, but if it's going to cost twice as much as 720p I'm out!

http://www.amazon.com/Contour-1600-ContourROAM-Hands-free-Camcorder/dp/B005GLFSYQ/ref=pd_cp_p_1

Any reviews from users of cheap bullet-type cameras and the like please post up.

TIA

2. Stirz

Stirz Makes my butt look big

I have a Contour (two actually). I managed to lowside one of them that was mounted to the side bodywork and took the full grindage when I went down. It still works fine. I've noted that the military is using them, too. Picture quality is comparable to GoPro.

3. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

Check out the Swann Freestyle cameras. Looks like a product similar to the GoPro. Amazon has the HD version starting at $147. I see them on woot.com for $99 from time to time.

4. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

5. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Well you certainly don't have time to get one now but those key fob cameras you can get from eBay for $10 ($3 for the camera, $7 for the shipping) work pretty well for what you're talking about. Problem is they ship from China and it takes so long to get them.

Here's a link to a video I made with one of them. The "mount" is nothing more than I taped the fob to the top of my front fender. The red stripe you see in the bottom of the picture is on the Bridgestone sticker.

6. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Check with Trackstar. He was telling me about one I think was Liquid Imagine? He had lots of good things to say about it.

7. Bunke10

Bunke10 Well-Known Member

Riders Discount posted one on here that looked pretty good.

1080p is nice, but not necessary.

60fps is well worth the extra cost, assuming battery and memory aren't an issue.

8. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I'm guessing Contour will re-emerge in the next few months once they figure out how to re-organize or somebody else comes in and takes over the company.

10. tikki50

tikki50 Well-Known Member

Yep YOU can use these all over the bike, shock compression video, fork compression they are handy little cameras, I suggest buying a few of them as they take a while to charge up and for the money they're hard to beat. Heck the micro sd card costs more than the camera, LOL. I used them on my RC plane, bikes, helmets, strip clubs :) They look exactly like a key fob.

11. gixxernaut

I have four of the little buggers plus two GoPro's. Sadly I now lack the incentive to put any of them on my bike before I go out. Every time a spectacular event happens in front of me I wish I had the camera rolling. I've missed some doozies.

12. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

The heckler video was shot with a contour roam2 camera. Love the camera and form factor. Sucks they closed down

13. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

14. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

I would ditch the video before a mod sends you on a vacation.:Poke:

15. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I thought bikes were ok?:confused:

16. sonicnofadz

sonicnofadz Well-Known Member

I'm using the contour. Its taken 3 high speed crashes so far with no problems (one of them a highside). I like the fact that its not a "brick" like the go pro.

17. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

I think he'd get a pass on this one since we are discussing camera quality...

18. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

19. gixxernaut

That, of course, is the one I used for the video I posted earlier. The 808 fob. Happy camera.

20. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I just ordered 3 of those little cameras to go with my gopro